7 steps to long range

Started by big5ifty, May 26, 2022, 09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

big5ifty

This covers the fundametals of setting up a rifle for long rang shooting, or verifying if a rifle is suitable for long range shooting.

Setting up for long range.

Treeman

I was very interested in this long range shooting, then I thought about the walk to the target ......................and back again.
 So now I practice with .22 LR
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

big5ifty

Quote from: Treeman on May 26, 2022, 12:27 PMI was very interested in this long range shooting, then I thought about the walk to the target ......................and back again.
 So now I practice with .22 LR

That is why the long range targets are all suspended steel gongs. If you hit, it moves.

Wild coast

.300 Win Mag vs .338 Lapua in a South African context.

Surely the .300WM is the better option based on wide variety of 30 cal bullets available, how many options can there be in .338 lapua?

Do you buy a .338 lapua purely to be cool and oh so tactical?

Treeman

Quote from: Wild coast on Jul 05, 2022, 01:07 PM.300 Win Mag vs .338 Lapua in a South African context.

Surely the .300WM is the better option based on wide variety of 30 cal bullets available, how many options can there be in .338 lapua?

Do you buy a .338 lapua purely to be cool and oh so tactical?
Is cool AND tactical really possible at same time ?

The 338 bullets available are designed and suitable specifically for the .338, as where the 30 Cal bullets cover a 100 years of possible uses in very many possible weapons. The .338 is just what it is and only that, not 308,30 06, 300HH, 300RUM,short action, long action, magnum,Weatherby - AK
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

I know there is the RUM, Ultra and Lapua in .338, but the required range of bullets are met.
Therefore I am me.

big5ifty

When you look at the benefits of a 300 WM versus 338 LM, you have to discuss it in the context of what shooting discipline it's going to be used for.

A 300 WM can technically reach anywhere a 338 LM can reach. On paper.

When you pass 1600 meters, you quickly realise that not everything the paper says is reliable, especially in the wind.

In practice, for long range, bigger is better for no other reason than to be able to more easily spot misses.

At 2000 meters plus, people shooting a 338 LM wish they had something bigger.