Own a Lee Precision Load Master? Read this now!

Started by DuaneWessels, Aug 31, 2023, 07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thanks for notifying us Duane!

I have used my Loadmaster since about 1993, so it is indeed 30 years old now.
I don't prime or de-prime on the press, so there is little need to remove the ram and adjust the carrier.  It stays clean inside and the priming lever is not working.

The LM has loaded many thousands of 9mm so far.  I have detailed records, so maybe I can add them all up and know.  I also load 9mm Short and 10mm Auto on it, but that's just a few thousand so far.

When I bought the LM it was still a fairly new product.  I see some updates were added on later models to sort out it's niggles.  When I decide to replace it one day, I hope the 6-pack pro has also been fully sorted and comes with the latest upgrades...

oafpatroll

Seems a bit rough to pull support for something that the only relatively recently replaced. I know 5 or 6 people at least who run one. They are likely to be pissed.

janfred

Very poor showing from Lee. The excuses does not quite make sense. Seems more to be a strategy to increase sales on their new offerings. Maybe it's time to use Hornady or Dillon.

DuaneWessels

Quote from: 223 on Aug 31, 2023, 01:08 PMThanks for notifying us Duane!

I have used my Loadmaster since about 1993, so it is indeed 30 years old now.
I don't prime or de-prime on the press, so there is little need to remove the ram and adjust the carrier.  It stays clean inside and the priming lever is not working.

The LM has loaded many thousands of 9mm so far.  I have detailed records, so maybe I can add them all up and know.  I also load 9mm Short and 10mm Auto on it, but that's just a few thousand so far.

When I bought the LM it was still a fairly new product.  I see some updates were added on later models to sort out it's niggles.  When I decide to replace it one day, I hope the 6-pack pro has also been fully sorted and comes with the latest upgrades...

The Six Pack Pro is leaps ahead of the Load Master. Excellent press all round.
480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za

DuaneWessels

Quote from: janfred on Sep 01, 2023, 02:30 AMVery poor showing from Lee. The excuses does not quite make sense. Seems more to be a strategy to increase sales on their new offerings. Maybe it's time to use Hornady or Dillon.

30 year old tooling. Spend money to replace that or rather spend that money designing a new press that can stand proud next to any progressive press?

Since Richard Lee passed his son's have designed some very innovative new presses like the APP and almost had a great press with the Pro4000. They took that experience even further and came up with the Six Pack Pro.

Now their entire progressive lineup shares the same indexing system and the primer system from the Six Pack has been adapted to the new Pro1000.

And to be fair to Lee, ever since they showed the Six Pack they have said the Load Master will come to an end...that's more than a year ago.

I can't wait for the complaints when they stop making spares for the old Pro1000...
480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za

oafpatroll

I think that pulling support for something durable and relatively expensive like a press in less than 10 years at least is iffy. These things have useful lifespans at least equal to cars and a great deal more in some cases.

janfred

So my investment in a Loadmaster a few years ago is now no longer an investment? Even Microsoft gave more than a few years notice and a reduced price upgrade.

And to be fair, one of Lee's selling points, apart from its price, was spares availability at reasonable prices. Old man Lee knew that customer support was the backbone of his business. Seems his sons forgot that. With all the R&D costs they probably need the sales to pay for it. What better way to do that than to force their clients to upgrade.

If this is their business model, good luck to them.

oafpatroll

Agree 100% @janfred. For me Lee represents excellent value and top notch support. Pulling support for something that they were selling until very recently dents that for me a bit. I suspect it's a policy change that may hurt them long term.

Treeman

Quote from: oafpatroll on Sep 01, 2023, 01:25 PMAgree 100% @janfred. For me Lee represents excellent value and top notch support. Pulling support for something that they were selling until very recently dents that for me a bit. I suspect it's a policy change that may hurt them long term.
This will definitely not be the best thing Lee has done.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

DuaneWessels

480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za

Quote from: DuaneWessels on Sep 04, 2023, 08:47 AMWell I hate to be the bearer of bad news...
https://480bc.co.za/index.php?route=extension/d_blog_module/post&post_id=105

Pro1000 carriers are also finished...

Is the Pro1000 not still in production?
Or did they change the carrier on the 2023 version?
How about an upgrade kit for the older Pro1000's to the newer 2023 spec?

DuaneWessels

No production of the 2017-2022 Pro1000 stopped earlier this year and it was upgraded to the 2023 version.
There are slight changes to the carrier design, the priming area and where the ratchet gear used to fit has been changed to accommodate the new priming and index systems.

With the Load Master we at least had some warning...

As far as I know there are no plans from Lee to upgrade an older Pro1000. And by looking at the new design, you will have to change a lot of things...carrier, replace the turret with the new tool head.

I hope they realize the problem this will cause.
There's a lot of Pro1000's out there.
The main issue I fix with these are warped carriers. That's a chunk of my business gone...
480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za

oafpatroll

I'm disappointed in Lee. Comes across a bit like Apple who intentionally make their older gear redundant. If and when my next progressive press upgrade may come up this will definitely be taken into account. Stopping production of key parts of machines of which there are likely hundreds of thousands in use seems ill conceived and it's bound to blow back on them. These are are not fast moving aspirational tech widgets bought by fashion victims after all.

If Lee won't supply spares, then we can only hope some after market manufacturer sees the opportunity to make upgraded replacement parts. That should teach them.  I really miss Richard Lee...