So which Lee Precision Progressive press to choose?

Started by DuaneWessels, Jan 19, 2024, 07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuaneWessels

So you are in the market for a progressive press?
Since we know Lee, let's look at the Lee Precision 2023 Pro1000 and the Six Pack Pro.

Now which one is right for you?
Well, let's meet the 2 contenders...
ig1583.jpg

On the left we have the 2023 Pro1000 and on the right the Six Pack Pro.
Both share the same design philosophy.
Lee's new "floating shell plate" auto-zero index system is shared by both. Difference is the shell plate size and index rod length. But the main parts are shared.

Lee has done away with turrets on all their progressive presses. Both of these now use a tool head that accepts Lee's patented Breech Lock Bushings. This eliminates any turret head movement.

And the biggest improvement...the priming system.
The priming system is shared, small differences like materials used but it functions the same way.
You now have a primer slider/guide that fetches a single primer from the primer trough and places it on the priming pin. See our setup videos below on how it works.

But believe me it works.

Speed...both machines will quite happily churn out more than 500 rounds an hour.

Let's look at the differences of the machines by going through their Pros and Cons.

The 2023 Pro1000.
This is the third generation of the world's most affordable and used progressive press. The 2023 model is a massive improvement.

Pros
The most affordable progressive press on the market.
Now very easy to setup and maintain. No more timing screws and gears that can go out of sync.
Designed to reload pistol ammo and some rifle ammo like 223.
Priming on the press is now improved and much easier to do and maintain.
Great roller handle, compact design will save space on your bench.
Calibre changes are quick and easy.
Now ships with the excellent Auto Drum powder measure as standard.
Excellent value for your hard earned cash.

Cons
Can only accommodate 3 dies. While this can be an issue for some, the 3 dies is everything you need to reload most calibres.
Cannot reload as many rifle calibres as the Six Pack Pro.
Not as strong as the Six Pack Pro but gets the job done.
Not available to buy as just the bare press. Only available in a multitude of calibre setup kits.
The Six Pack Pro.
The Load Master's replacement. And what an upgrade it is! A Six station progressive beast.

Pros
Six Stations...you have options on how you want to setup your reloading dies. Want to run a powder check die? No problem. Inline Bullet Feeder? Jip...and then you can still seat and crimp in different stations.
This press is solid. Super strong linkages with almost no play in the action.
Easy to setup and maintain. Compared to the old Load Master, this press is a breeze to setup.
Designed to reload pistol and rifle ammo. The Six Pack is sold in a kit to reload 6.5 Creedmoor. Tallest cartridge case it can handle is 30 06...with some limitations.
Priming on the press is fantastic, easy to operate and maintain.
Calibre changes are quick and easy.
Available as just the press with case feeder or in a multitude of calibre setup kits.
Kit's include the Auto Drum as standard.
It might look expensive but go compare it to the competition...the Six Pack Pro is real value for money.

Cons
Compared to the 2023 Pro1000, the Six Pack is the costly option of the two.
This is one heavy press and needs a solid bench to mount on.
And that's about all the cons I can think off...

So now which one is the right one for you?
The main consideration will be budget.
If you can afford the Six Pack, it must be your first choice as it offers more.
If your budget does not allow this then the 2023 Pro 1000 is a very solid second choice.

Do you need the extras offered on the Six Pack Pro?
You don't need six die stations.
You can reload quality ammo with just the standard 3 dies.
It is however nice to have the options offered by the Six Pack. You can separate the seating and crimping operation and you can have an inline bullet feeder with a powder check die.

While the 2023 Pro1000 will get the job done with just 3 dies, the Six Pack offers you much more flexibility.

For me the Six Pack is the right press but I would be quite happy loading 9mmp ammo on the 2023 Pro1000.

So I hope this will help you make the right choice.

And no, I did not forget about the Pro4000.
The manual priming system used with the Pro4000 eliminates it from being a true progressive press.

Six Pack Pro Kit:
https://480bc.co.za/Six-Pack-Pro6000-Kit
2023 Pro1000:
https://480bc.co.za/2023Pro1000

#480bcsupplies #leeprecision #weknowlee #herlaai #reloading #rollyourown
480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za

janfred

If I buy a Lee progressive again, I will have to have the ability to load for all 3 calibres I own; 9mmP, .308Win and .223Rem.

How much would it set me back to get the 2 extra shell plates and the the large rifle priming bits for the 6-pack pro?

DuaneWessels

Quote from: janfred on Jan 20, 2024, 07:18 AMIf I buy a Lee progressive again, I will have to have the ability to load for all 3 calibres I own; 9mmP, .308Win and .223Rem.

How much would it set me back to get the 2 extra shell plates and the the large rifle priming bits for the 6-pack pro?

Shell Plates are R900.00. The Six Pack ships with the large primer guide also...to change primer size on it is as simple as swopping the guides out.
480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za