Will Somchem ever recover ?

Started by Shotofrank, Jan 02, 2023, 02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big5ifty

Quote from: janfred on Jan 22, 2023, 07:47 PMI don't know what you know that makes you say that.

I know what you know.

Unless they send German technicians to operate the plant, and lay an extension cord from Europe.

Most of our fellow countrymen perceive work to be a perpetual right, not a cultivated skill. They demand jobs, they demand good wages, and they demand to not be told how to do the jobs you give them.

Quality assurance is not achievable under those conditions. Profitable business is not possible with a dud labour force.

How do the rolling blackouts affect production ? You can't stop and start the equipment in ammunition manufacture several times a day. That means underproduction, increased equipment breakage, unplanned maintenance, increased operating costs.

Under those conditions, a company cuts the loss making products. If the number of profitable products gets below a certain threshold, the investors close the plant.

The question is only if it will be mothballed, or dismantled and shipped to China.

oafpatroll

Sadly there's not much arguing with that. I have no idea how one could justify investing in SA given our trajectory. Contrary to commie lore our labour is actually very expensive when measured against productivity, we have an onerous regulatory environment and a diminishing and intermittent electricity supply. None of those things individually are strong attractions for investment, together they are investment kryptonite. 

Treeman

investment kryptonite.
well expressed.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

5 Months later and S365 seems to be available everywhere.

Some MP200 hit the dealers shelves and was quickly bought by everyone who could.

S335 is hens teeth again.  A new batch of decent proportions would be most welcome.

All of us who changed to the imported powders, now seem to appreciate the better prices and not-too-shabby quality of the old Somchem powders.

Newton

I have communicated with the folks at - "RELOAD SWISS" ( an excellent powder used by World champions ) also a part of Rheinmetal
Last I heard they were prepared to send powder to SA IF they could find someone with the correct storage facilities and licenses and who could buy in bulk.

I have NO idea why this cannot be done via the Rheinmetal that is currently in SA and part of the SA armaments industry ?

Perhaps someone could ask them ?

Here are the links

Reload Swiss

RHeinmetall NitroChemie

RHEINMETALL

These guys in the UK are able to import

ReloadingUK