Miniature cold room

Started by Treeman, Sep 06, 2023, 10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaavG

My urge to get a small cold room is also high at the moment. Like what you've done there.

also been looking at coolbot.co.za + small aircon + insulating an outside store room to use as needs be.

Treeman

Quote from: DaavG on Oct 20, 2023, 09:16 AMMy urge to get a small cold room is also high at the moment. Like what you've done there.

also been looking at coolbot.co.za + small aircon + insulating an outside store room to use as needs be.
A mate said I should just have built a wooden box like a outside toilet in a brick corner (Only build two sides then) lined the inside with plastic sheets spaced 10 cm from outer walls to create and gap. Then pour in expanda foam poured into gap as insulation. I should then have taken my freezer unit and put it on the box just like it is on the freezer at present.
The cold room would then be walk in above head Height ???

Live and learn.

I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Got my frame back today, no more rust.
rack by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Sandblasted or sprayed?

oafpatroll

Treeman

Galvanised, I can not do S/S so chose galvo. It is an reactive metal I know but the meat will be on stainless hooks, just need to keep curing fluids off the framework.

I tasted my first successful brined ham last night, still a bit salty, but 150% better than last effort.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

And as the winter approaches we start hunting again as per post  https://allgunstuff.co.za/index.php?topic=637.0

The cold room was started up again after 4  months
https://allgunstuff.co.za/index.php?topic=637.0

Only one w/hog, but because we had the mini cold room, we could butcher the carcass over two days.
So we only have this left to debone today.
20240420_231802 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
Therefore I am me.

Newton

Treeman .. it is known as - Charcuterie – the art of curing pork, traditionally done in France, Spain and Italy.  And because... who doesn't love bacon!

Kleinhoek Kloof - Charcuterie

Attend a course and learn how to do it

WickedFood Earth

I have no idea how Bushpig or Warthog meat will work - perhaps worth a try

The fancy properly done stuff sells for a fortune

Treeman

Bushpig is useable, but warthog too low in fat and the PH is evidently incorrect. I made ham from warthog and it was not good, I then went ham/impala mix and it was much, much better.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Warthog is really a dry meat, but is does not compare to Sambar deer, that animal is wood to sawdust depending on how it is presented.
Really appears that it just can not be made nice, not even as biltong - it just goes hard like epoxy.
Therefore I am me.