6.5 PRC - anyone got one ?

Started by Newton, May 11, 2023, 09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newton

Is there anyone that currently owns and uses a HOWA 6.5 PRC ?

Would some kind soul that has one please do me a favour and measure the full magazine length
What is the maximum COAL that you can fit and use - as a repeater ( not single shot )

This cartridge was designed to use the long VLD style bullets and I am interested to know if this HOWA short action is slightly longer than the standard .308 ( 6.5 Creedmoor ) type setup ?

Thanks

Newton

Some background , information , and dimensions

6.5 PRC vs 6.5 Creedmoor

Newton

Some more 6.5 stuff from Ron Spomer

6.5 Rem Mag vs 6.5 PRC

Old ideas in new cases

Interesting the failures and the marketing

Againstthegrains

My thoughts are that its a target gun, not a hunting gun. They come with really high twist rates for shooting extra long high BC long range target bullets. It doesn't make sense to have all that powder, and then load up a heavy bullet that is designed to go long distance, but goes at normal bullet speeds. You may as well just hunt with a 130 grain Barnes in a 270 win, than go to all that trouble to hunt with a 150gr bullet in a PRC. Its just as flat and makes things just as dead.

If you want to hunt at long distance, that's a bit of an ego thing and a bit unethical.

Againstthegrains

And to add, the accurate barrel life is short.

Treeman

Quote from: Againstthegrains on Feb 21, 2024, 09:42 PMAnd to add, the accurate barrel life is short.
Yes, with that overbore I would imagine that when loaded to intended speck the throat would erode rather faster than viable given our dipshit firearm licencing system.
Its heavy bullet and relatively high velocity does not make it a slow and heavy hunting cartridge, nor does it become a "magnum" big hitter, its a target cartridge.
Much like the Creedmoor? but that does not mean that putting it through the vitals of targeted creature will not result in successful hunt. 
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.