Got my new Glock today - do not like it as much as I thought I would.

Started by Treeman, May 05, 2023, 08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeman

My everyday carry weapon was a 45 ACP from 20 years old till bout 1997, 7 years when I took over my brothers Star 9 mm B I think it was, the smaller one, not the full size. Both these weapons were solid pieces of steel and both served as bludgeoning tool on more than one occasion.  The 45 ACP ruined cloths and made holes in every car seat I owned. The 9 mm I really liked and it served me well, got drawn a few times when the need arose, mostly as precautionary or a think twice warning. As I got older and somewhat fatter, lazier, the need for greater comfort arose. After 30 odd years of every, I mean EVERY day carry I went modern and bought a Kahr 9mm compact. Awe man! What a comfort leap, so light and so usable, wonderful indeed. I battled with easy accuracy and really had to do my part with care to see any impressive results, but hey, it was good enough for its intended use - close upfront and personal self defence at 10 m or less. I was fast, quick and capable with all the weapons mentioned, I could draw and fire fast enough to feel confident.
One downfall - only 6 shots.

Then a few friends had close calls and the Durban riots arose. A friend used 5 shots in a confrontation, another 6 shots keeping attackers at bay. The Durban riots then came along and with the help of a few private video's, I realized the need for only 5-6 shots was a thing of the past.

I started May last year, just trying weapons for feel and carry feel, when I found one I went home researched it  and put it on the yes or no list. I very quickly ended up with a few Glock options and one or two CZ options, the Glock won the final list with pretty much 4 weapons top of list.
I wanted 12 - 15 rounds ability as high on list, concealability for MY lifestyle and parts that were available over the counter. Resistance to rust and weight were also factors.

The Glock 19 won in the end.

I did test carry it and I had shot one before, but I am battling with carry and draw now that it is a matter of everyday carry, I find it is just that teenie weenie bit to big, I just can not get my hand around it so quickly, it digs into my body a bit and makes getting fingers around it a slower process. I have also found the surface is a good non slip material and that it drags on cloths and skin, not like my Kahr that just slips out easily. Its still early days, and perhaps I will improve on the dislikes, but I been carrying for 36 years and I do believe I know myself and my ways, abilities.
I put a 100 or so rounds through it, accurate ? Easy the most naturally accurate for me pistol I have shot, I have barely to do more than pull the trigger and I am at least 3 times a better shot than my compact pistol. I shot beer cans at 30 m using my second ever mag of ammo. (my first two magazines were just play and fun before serious testing and 2nd clean etc)

I am suitably impressed with this weapon, but it is likely that I will go back to my compact for everyday carry, its just so much easier to carry. Guess the 6 shot limitation is a risk I will need to accept.

I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Kola

It will take a while, and practise.

At least you have it now.

oafpatroll

6 shots would not be nearly comforting enough for me. I am rarely found with less than 49 rounds on my person. It may not be likely that I would need them all but two friends have been in 'events' where they used everything they had. I don't fancy trying that out for size.

Treeman

When I originally decided to buy again, it was to be my "go to" weapon when needed and in troubled times days, and not my everyday carry. Somewhere along the way it became intended for everyday. I intended this to be my Durban Riots, mass action, road tripping weapon with my compact being everyday and so much lower trouble expectation days weapon, but that thing of not being able to tell what day is the trouble day is a worry - car hijackings do not have tell tale buildups, nor do house robberies.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

JamesNotBond

The rough texture will wear down soon enough on all the contact points and become much more comfortable.  I would not help it along either, except maybe if there is some sharp edge that chafes me.  After 32 years of carry my G19 Gen2 feels as smooth as a bar of soap.  The front and back straps retain enough of the "grenade checkering" to afford a secure grip when shooting.  (I do not grip the side panels much, probably due to my hand size.)

Blunting all the sharp edges on the holster is important.  You don't mention it, but I hope you got a good Kydex IWB holster that keeps all the metal parts well away from your skin?

Usually, comfort is enhanced the most by a good holster and belt.  Especially the belt makes a huge difference.  It should be rigid enough to distribute the weight and not need to be pulled too tight.  Do see how you can modify or adapt the belt and holster to enhance your comfort.

A good gun means nothing when it sits in the safe.  Make a plan to get it EDC worthy.  It will likely be much more comfy than your old Star BM.  It won't likely beat the Kahr, but can be as comfy with the right help.

The Glock trigger needs to be learned.  A few minutes of dry fire, including draw and fire from the EDC holster, every day, will have you running it smoothly and accurately in no time.  This costs only  a few minutes of your time, except maybe if you forget to make double sure there is no ammo in or near it...