Dry curing meat.

Started by Treeman, Dec 10, 2023, 04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

janfred

Who is this; Bonsai(Cody) or Treeman(David)?

You two should stop using the same computer 🤣

oafpatroll

Old guys acting like teenagers. This is what my mom warned me to be on the lookout for when using the internet.

Bonsai

Yes, I am going to have to sort that out
Be interested.
Be Amazed.
Be Kind.
Be Grateful.

Treeman

Yes, going to have to sort that out. Cody does not log out when he uses my computer, and I do not log out because its my PC, I can stay logged in, its easier.
 Same with the Flicker account.
He has my old PC, but I replaced it because it was like 2002 model and ran out of those memory card things you slot in. So he uses mine because his is slow and so fkn untidy he can not find a thing ( uses it for school though, about all it gets use for, simple type and save projects, the rest of PC is entangled in mega "needs" games apps and things just downloaded.
Next issue is he may post what he wants as he wants, but he must read it to me or if as usual I am in another room doing something else leave it on screen, I will go through it and just safety check it (try correct grammar spelling TRY !) It then gets posted after discussion.

Rule is he cannot be in trouble or moaned at about his post, even if he moans or ridicules me - which allows me to check it without fear for him.

It is a two sided problem, if people perceive I am posting as Cody, his credibility is gone, if I post with my language, manner people will lose respect for a 15 year behaving like that.
So yea I gotta try correct this matter.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Pork allergy is a known phenomenon.

Treeman

My W/Hog leg is now vacuum packed 4 days, 5 days tomorrow, then I am gone for 3 days, I think I must pull it tomorrow and hang it.
I will rinse it and dry it, then hang it in my little bar fridge to dry, just gotta hope the humidity is alrightish>

Anyone done this before ?
Therefore I am me.

JamesNotBond

My father was an butcher, all my childhood years. Worked with him many a holiday, and learnt a little about the trade in that time.
What amazes me now in these modern times is how "just do it" things were done. There was this barrel that stood away to one side, filled with brine and meats, do not recall it being treated as special or a great thing, just there.
Salt and things were scooped and thrown in using a big sugar scoop, the water was topped up and I presume changed when I was not there. No temperature control, no mg, ml measurements, it was just done. 

Ds J

Quote from: JamesNotBond on Dec 18, 2023, 11:01 AMMy father was an butcher, all my childhood years. Worked with him many a holiday, and learnt a little about the trade in that time.
What amazes me now in these modern times is how "just do it" things were done. There was this barrel that stood away to one side, filled with brine and meats, do not recall it being treated as special or a great thing, just there.
Salt and things were scooped and thrown in using a big sugar scoop, the water was topped up and I presume changed when I was not there. No temperature control, no mg, ml measurements, it was just done. 

This answers one of my questions on brine.

We almost never eat pork, simply because of the health issue. However, once in a while I get a warthog. We pickle and smoke the ribs. The front and rear quarters are deboned, then pickled. My mom makes an excellent pulled pork.

Againstthegrains

Quote from: DaavG on Dec 12, 2023, 07:29 AMCuring some pork jowls to make into bacon...

Jowl bacon is the best. It is sad that most abattoirs don't understand this, and hack right through the cheek when they process the animal.

Againstthegrains

Quote from: Treeman on Dec 12, 2023, 12:20 PMI am more interested in the methods of bettering venison, I have not eaten pork in years.
I used pork fat recently in some sausage I made and now I do not want to eat it because the pig smell hits me before first bite.

That flavour/smell comes from the fact that the pigs are farmed intensely, and on a high growth diet. The diet is discordant with what is pig is meant to eat, being high calorie and lower in fiber. This alters the composition of the gut flora to organisms that produce large amounts of a compound called skatole: named from the Greek word "skata" which means shit. Hence skatole smells like shit, and an animal that produces lots if it in its gut, and walks in its own shit all day, the meat will have a poop smell to it.

I encourage you to support local farmers brave enough to raise pigs on rotated pasture with a bit of supplemental feeding. The meat is like it comes from a different species and tastes like heaven. Changed my mind completely about pork. Abattoir prices for factory pigs are around R40 per KG, but it costs about R60+ /kg to raise pork properly in fields, and is worth paying an honest farmer to produce it.

Againstthegrains

Quote from: Ds J on Dec 18, 2023, 09:43 PM
Quote from: JamesNotBond on Dec 18, 2023, 11:01 AMHowever, once in a while I get a warthog. We pickle and smoke the ribs. The front and rear quarters are deboned, then pickled. My mom makes an excellent pulled pork.

Yep, throw a W-Hog rib case in a pressure cooker with a sweet sticky marinade and it makes an amazing pulled pork.

Ds J

I prefer the slow cooker aka "prutpot" - overnight at 120 degrees.

For some reason, meat from pressure cookers tend to be more slimey m

oafpatroll

Quote from: Ds J on Dec 21, 2023, 02:38 PMI prefer the slow cooker aka "prutpot" - overnight at 120 degrees.

I have exactly the same experience. Made 4kg of pork shanks in apple juice garlic and ginger like that. 120 degrees overnight and it was perfection. When I was convinced to try the same recipe in a pressure cooker because it would be so quick the texture was just off.

Treeman

Quote from: oafpatroll on Dec 21, 2023, 02:52 PM
Quote from: Ds J on Dec 21, 2023, 02:38 PMI prefer the slow cooker aka "prutpot" - overnight at 120 degrees.

I have exactly the same experience. Made 4kg of pork shanks in apple juice garlic and ginger like that. 120 degrees overnight and it was perfection. When I was convinced to try the same recipe in a pressure cooker because it would be so quick the texture was just off.
The slow cooker melts the collagen into the meat, the pressure cooker destroys it. Pretty much like difference in mincing meat to make mince and driving over it 3 times with a 5 ton truck wheel to make mince.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

Quote from: Treeman on Dec 21, 2023, 04:44 PM*******************************
The slow cooker melts the collagen into the meat, the pressure cooker destroys it. Pretty much like difference in mincing meat to make mince and driving over it 3 times with a 5 ton truck wheel to make mince.

That makes sense. Probably works on the same principle as the one that prevents 9 pregnant women from being able to produce a baby in 1 month.