Dry curing meat.

Started by Treeman, Dec 10, 2023, 04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeman

Quote from: oafpatroll on Dec 21, 2023, 05:17 PM
Quote from: Treeman on Dec 21, 2023, 04:44 PM*******************************
The slow cooker melts the collagen into the meat, the pressure cooker destroys it. Pretty much like difference in mincing meat to make mince and driving over it 3 times with a 5 ton truck wheel to make mince.

That makes sense. Probably works on the same principle as the one that prevents 9 pregnant women from being able to produce a baby in 1 month.
Very funny but true factor.
I had a friend that did not believe in the law of averages. He would always pipe up - "So ! If you stood with one foot in a bucket of ice and the other in a bucket of coals, on average you would find the temperature bearable?"
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

janfred

That book that you downloaded was pretty good in explaining the changes that meat goes through when processed.

Againstthegrains

Quote from: oafpatroll on Dec 21, 2023, 05:17 PM
Quote from: Treeman on Dec 21, 2023, 04:44 PM*******************************
The slow cooker melts the collagen into the meat, the pressure cooker destroys it. Pretty much like difference in mincing meat to make mince and driving over it 3 times with a 5 ton truck wheel to make mince.

That makes sense. Probably works on the same principle as the one that prevents 9 pregnant women from being able to produce a baby in 1 month.

You guys are funny ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Treeman

You guys are funny ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
[/quote]

Sad part is we were trying to be clever  ::)
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

My hog shoulder has now hung 7 day, in a fridge set at 5.5 cel.
I called Cody and asked him what he thinks about my meat. " Whatch mean Daaad"
"Look at my meat, what you think so fa?"
,"oh! Ya looks alright, smells like that meat we buy"
 "Ham roast cold meats?"  _"ya, like that"
So 7 days later and not yet green.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

Quote from: Treeman on Dec 24, 2023, 12:28 PMMy hog shoulder has now hung 7 day, in a fridge set at 5.5 cel.

Don't let this quote fall into the wrong hands or Cody may be taken away from you ;) 

Treeman

Quote from: oafpatroll on Dec 24, 2023, 03:08 PM
Quote from: Treeman on Dec 24, 2023, 12:28 PMMy hog shoulder has now hung 7 day, in a fridge set at 5.5 cel.

Who was it that said we are funny ????

Don't let this quote fall into the wrong hands or Cody may be taken away from you ;) 
Therefore I am me.

Newton

Quote from: Againstthegrains on Dec 21, 2023, 10:10 AMI encourage you to support local farmers brave enough to raise pigs on rotated pasture with a bit of supplemental feeding. The meat is like it comes from a different species and tastes like heaven.
This is something I have been reading about - with the intention of trying to raise a few pigs like this. ( small scale for local consumption )
Do you have someone you know who is farming this way ?
I am on the look-out for any information / case studies / instruction videos

Treeman

I have a friend who has traveled/ lived in UK Spain, Italy, Turkey, Germany and the East Block. He was saying how the pork is so different in different places, so VERY different. From lean bodied meat animals to blocks of fat with some muscle in between the fat.
How the acorn fed pigs taste so different to the grass fed pigs and the forest ranging like our farm goats pigs that evidently taste like heaven.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

My hung meat now since 10th December, looks like this.

20240106_171107 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

Looking good. How does it taste?

Treeman

Like less tasty wet biltong. Chewy.
Againstthegrain informed me that it will take some months for flavours to develop. He also said loss's will be higher, dry cut off related.

What will I then get from 1.4 KG which is now 900 gr bone in ????
Therefore I am me.

Newton

Do you have any German or Danish friends ?
Know anyone in Namibia ?
THIS is very much their thing - smoking and processing of meat / pork
How many different types of sausages do you think one can make ?

I had ideas of a special dedicated temperature controlled meat smoking shed

Newton

Quote from: Treeman on Jan 07, 2024, 06:04 PMHow the acorn fed pigs taste so different to the grass fed pigs and the forest ranging like our farm goats pigs that evidently taste like heaven.
In the Cape there are descendents of European boars - feeding on long ago imported OAK TREES
There are a few farmers farming with them

Againstthegrains

Quote from: Newton on Jan 07, 2024, 07:12 PM
Quote from: Treeman on Jan 07, 2024, 06:04 PMHow the acorn fed pigs taste so different to the grass fed pigs and the forest ranging like our farm goats pigs that evidently taste like heaven.
In the Cape there are descendents of European boars - feeding on long ago imported OAK TREES
There are a few farmers farming with them

And then they accidently introduced the Chineese shot-hole borer beetle and that is causing the end of the Oak trees in South Africa and the acorns and the pigs that fed on them. And I'm peeved off because you used to find such amazing porcini mushrooms and chicken of the woods on the trees, which are now dead.