Dry curing meat.

Started by Treeman, Dec 10, 2023, 04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesNotBond

Tree, you must get your butt over to my side of town sometime again, I will tell you tales of limestone field tomatoes and hillside hams. Climates where chickens and legs of curing meat hang in cafe type shops, beautiful dry, firm chickens, so unlike the slimy dead things we buy cling wrapped from fridges.

oafpatroll

Quote from: JamesNotBond on Jan 09, 2024, 10:24 AMTree, you must get your butt over to my side of town sometime again, I will tell you tales of limestone field tomatoes and hillside hams. Climates where chickens and legs of curing meat hang in cafe type shops, beautiful dry, firm chickens, so unlike the slimy dead things we buy cling wrapped from fridges.

I roasted a 'werf runner' chicken that I bought live from locals in the Transkei once. My professional city slicker mates who were on the trip with us couldn't believe that it was nominally the same species as a supermarket chicken. A genuinely free range chicken that eats mostly what it finds is as unlike a factory raised one as a bushpig is to a factory porker.

Treeman

Truly free range chickens are not easily consumed by average Joe, myself very included, they just taste so NOT what you used too. The term "it tastes funny" will be heard.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Free range chicken looks and tastes much like guinea-fowl. Dark, rubbery meat with a "bloody" taste, similar to blesbuck.

Ds J

Hi Treeman, any feedback on the meat, or new ideas and results to share with us?

Treeman

The hung ham was just too small at 1.1 kg abouts, it dried an outer case that was almost to the center. At 2 months it was biltong. Cody ate most of the core which was like less flavoured biltong, the rest was sliced as doggie treats.
I will try this again in winter with a larger piece of meat.

I in the meantime have made formed hams the formed hams were great, even if lacking in appearance.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.