Right Handed Left Eye Dominance

Started by DaavG, Jan 16, 2024, 09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaavG

Morning All,

My 8 year old boy is right handed but seems to be left eye dominant (and left footed). Discovered this via the Daisy Red Ryder he got for Christmas.

How do I proceed with him? Teach him to shoot left handed or patch his left eye and shoot right handed & right eye?

Long term goals will be shooting rifle, O/U shotgun and handguns, right now the Daisy...

oafpatroll

I'd be surprised if you could overcome eye dominance without poking the offending one out. I'd follow the eye dominance and teach him to shoot left shouldered. Seen a few people transition as adults with success.

Ds J

Ek het al n paar berigte gelees van skuts wat as volwassenes begin skiet het, of toe eers besef het dat hulle kruis-dominante koördinasie het. Hulle moet aanpas en met n skewe houding skiet, of oorleer. Diegene wat oorgeleer het, het almal baie dankbaar geklink.

Laat hy links-om skiet.

Welshman

I'm right handed, born with a lazy right eye (10% vision), so guess which is my dominant eye.

I've shot handguns right handed for 35 years.
However, I shoot right handed rifles & shotguns "left handed" since adapting that way after getting an air rifle at age 9.

This includes working the bolt on a rifle with my right hand (support hand), while the trigger hand repositions slightly in between shots to temporarily support weight of rifle.

Sound crazy, but comes natural to me ..

Treeman

Quote from: DaavG on Jan 16, 2024, 09:10 AMMorning All,

My 8 year old boy is right handed but seems to be left eye dominant (and left footed). Discovered this via the Daisy Red Ryder he got for Christmas.

How do I proceed with him? Teach him to shoot left handed or patch his left eye and shoot right handed & right eye?

Long term goals will be shooting rifle, O/U shotgun and handguns, right now the Daisy...
I just checked again, before posting nonsense.
I am left eye dominant.
Right hand dominant.
...and apparently ambidextrous in my feet.
Let me explain.

When doing the eye test I am definitely left eye dominant.
I write with right hand and use right hand for everything, to such extent that I am noticeably weaker in left arm.
I surf left leg forward, I fight using left leg as leader and mostly use it repeatably , yet finish things off with right leg ( that's when I got too finish it and not got myself finished). If I kick something I wish to loosen, break or move, like a plank or soccer ball I use right leg, but will do use left leg to block a ball ?

I never even knew there was, could be a problem shooting - I bring gun up left hand support, stock to right shoulder and have right cheek against stock and nose touching stock and look along barrel left eye through scope.
                                    What's the problem ?
I am a terrible shotgun shooter, so much so that I have won prizes for things like " Ability to amaze with no ability"  -won a springbuck with that one  ;D

I shoot above average with an rifle at range and far better than most hunters in the velt. I shoot perhaps average when competing handgun against competent shooters (nowhere on listings against compo shooters)

In short I cannot help as I cannot understand problem., just let him shoot.

I am actually really interested in if this helped at all. If you whats up  me, I will send you photo video. 0824141818
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

DaavG

Thanks for the comments, interesting feedback. My gut is to go left handed shooting for the time being.

DaavG

Quote from: Treeman on Jan 16, 2024, 09:39 PMI never even knew there was, could be a problem shooting - I bring gun up left hand support, stock to right shoulder and have right cheek against stock and nose touching stock and look along barrel left eye through scope.

What's the problem

My son does a very similiar impression of this but causes him to shoot right (I think unless he's doing something else). The Daisy is still marginally big for him so not quite ideal. Swapping to left handed setup, he is definitely more aligned and accurate.

His inclination is definitely to shoot right handed.

My guess is to shoot a shotgun properly in time he will need to shoot left handed.

I don't want to go a particular path and then have him spend ages undoing the learning as wrong...

Ds J

Quote from: Treeman on Jan 16, 2024, 09:39 PMI bring gun up left hand support, stock to right shoulder and have right cheek against stock and nose touching stock and look along barrel left eye through scope.
                                    What's the problem ?

With kids, take care when shooting left-eyed with a right-handed rifle. My cousin has a beautiful ring as a member of the half moon club.

Againstthegrains

I'm reading this thread and thinking of a friend of mine. A guy who is an awesome athlete and intellectual, and kicks ass at any activity he touches.

He comes from a family of hunters, but the bug never bit. I took him to the range and figured out why. He is also right handed left eye dominant. He was unable to shoot a decent group. I think if humans evolved shooting rifles, right handed left eye dominant would be an evolutionary dead end :o

DuaneWessels

My better half is right handed but left eye dominant.
Pistol she just shifts the gun to left eye but shottie and rifle she shoots left handed.
480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za

Newton

Some people shoot handgun and shotgun BOTH eyes open
Do not know if you can shoot a bolt action rifle that way ?
I am sure you can shoot an carbine / smg / hmc this way

Perhaps some lucky people are ambidextrous and can shoot any which way
I have a suspicion that this is what you are trained to do in special forces ...

Treeman

Quote from: Againstthegrains on Feb 08, 2024, 09:08 AMI'm reading this thread and thinking of a friend of mine. A guy who is an awesome athlete and intellectual, and kicks ass at any activity he touches.

He comes from a family of hunters, but the bug never bit. I took him to the range and figured out why. He is also right handed left eye dominant. He was unable to shoot a decent group. I think if humans evolved shooting rifles, right handed left eye dominant would be an evolutionary dead end :o
I was getting irritated with this post, whats the fuss about. Marched off to garage, told Cody to bring camera, was gonna show you guys.
 :o  :o  :o  :o picked rifle up told Cody to take a photo and heard " um dad, that IS your right eye !"
I am left eye dominant, checked it now again, definitely, but when I shoot I shoot left eye closed. FOKKIT ? Is that a problem, never noticed only ever really checked eye dominance, never checked noted when shooting. I am right handed, left eyed and use right I.
I have never had any shooting issues with a rifle - I suck with a shottie, so much so that I have been told I would score better at clays if I used my rifle.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Is there some problem with this ?
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Quote from: Treeman on Jan 16, 2024, 09:39 PM
Quote from: DaavG on Jan 16, 2024, 09:10 AMMorning All,

I just checked again, before posting nonsense.
I am left eye dominant.
Right hand dominant.
...and apparently ambidextrous in my feet.
Let me explain.

When doing the eye test I am definitely left eye dominant.
I write with right hand and use right hand for everything, to such extent that I am noticeably weaker in left arm.
I surf left leg forward, I fight using left leg as leader and mostly use it repeatably , yet finish things off with right leg ( that's when I got too finish it and not got myself finished). If I kick something I wish to loosen, break or move, like a plank or soccer ball I use right leg, but will do use left leg to block a ball ?

I never even knew there was, could be a problem shooting - I bring gun up left hand support, stock to right shoulder and have right cheek against stock and nose touching stock and look along barrel left eye through scope.
                                    What's the problem ?
I am a terrible shotgun shooter, so much so that I have won prizes for things like " Ability to amaze with no ability"  -won a springbuck with that one  ;D

I shoot above average with an rifle at range and far better than most hunters in the velt. I shoot perhaps average when competing handgun against competent shooters (nowhere on listings against compo shooters)

In short I cannot help as I cannot understand problem., just let him shoot.

I am actually really interested in if this helped at all. If you whats up  me, I will send you photo video. 0824141818
I posted the above, luckly I did not say I checked with an rifle, only checked eye dominance.
Fkt, I am shocked, suppressed etc, I feel like Ramapoesa when confronted on any matter.
Therefore I am me.

DaavG

Thanks guys, interesting info! Handguns we'll figure out, its more a scoped rifle and shottie.

He's shooting the Daisy both sides with no pressure from me. We'll see where this ends up.