Th Houston Warehouse Experiment

Started by big5ifty, Sep 18, 2022, 03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big5ifty

Interesting notes on accuracy.

Treeman

One of the most remarkable firearm projects ever. I still can not agree with the findings, even though I know I am wrong and project correct. :o

Some of the things they did - the effort!

I would love a study on the projects findings.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Shotofrank

The Warehouse project is also mentioned on the Gun Site forum, long ago. I do believe its time I look it up, perhaps again.
Why, when and where. Then death.

oafpatroll

What an amazing thing to have been able to do. Imagine what the rifles capable of doing that would cost in randelas!

big5ifty

What I find interesting is that pretty much the only thing that mattered for the sub-tenth inch accuracy in those tests was the brass and brass prep.

Powder was not important, primers were not important, bullets were not important, powder charge was not critical.

The focus was on fitting the brass to the bullets, and neck tension. 

Treeman

Quote from: 414gates on Sep 20, 2022, 03:17 PMThe focus was on fitting the brass to the bullets, and neck tension. 

Seems this is the answer ?
The answer was 42, now its neck tension.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

big5ifty

The real answer is that there is no one answer, and no magic wand.

Keep what they were doing in the context of what they were achieving, for their purposes.

It's by no means generic. According to the story, Virgil went on to shoot outdoor competition and performed so miserably he shut down the warehouse in disgust.

What is not important for a one hole group at 100 becomes critical for accuracy at 1000, for example.

What is important for accuracy at 100 remains important at 1000.

Ds J

They realised back then what most precision shooter do now: smaller calibres tend to be more accurate.

The other thing they mentioned is that they generally worked with very accurate rifles. Everyday hunting rifles did not come into play much.

Shotofrank

I just read the whole write up again, seems to be one of those pieces that will become etched in stone.
Why, when and where. Then death.