Which pistol would you buy for a hands on female diary farmer.

Started by Treeman, Sep 21, 2022, 08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeman

I need to guide a lady to a EDC buy - she is a beef farm owner and absolutely hands on working all day.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

9mm Para. Anyting smaller in calibre has no stopping power.

DuaneWessels

What about the Glock 19? Or the 48? Maybe get her to chat to someone like Aziza from CHS Guns.
480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za

Ds J

Speaking to (most) women about guns is much like speaking to (most) men about shopping. It is an unwelcome necessity, done with something close to disdain and avoided as far as possible.

The best way to solve the situation is to let her choose. Therefore I always advise to get her to a shooting range with several different  firearms, preferably several times.

Take her personality and daily tasks into account, and help her to choose good gear. A farm tannie/girl generally wears heavier clothes, thus a good gun belt with a proper holster wouldn't be a problem.

For EDC and physical work, I would look at a G26. Several women in our area (Molopo: Stella/Vryburg/Piet Plessis) carry them 24/7 without any hiccups.

big5ifty

A woman is physically weaker than a man, and usually smaller.

This does not mean she needs a small gun - she needs a big gun - to make up for her deficit.

A Glock 21 is not much heavier than a 19. The 45ACP is easier to learn to shoot, and easier to shoot better, than a 9mm. The G21 is an easy shooting platform, even for factory ammo.

Cost of ammo can be mitigated by using cast bullets, which the 45ACP is practically made for. Alloy hardness is not a problem, the pressure is low, just powder coat, load and shoot.

45ACP brass never wears out. Shoot it over and over again.

Then there's the inevitable lapse into the fog of stopping power. Stopping power is an academic question that leads to a logical swamp. The focus should be on disabling the attacker.

Which is done in one of two ways - penetrating a vital or a drop in blood pressure.

Hitting a vital in an attack scenario is unlikely. A big hole is guaranteed to bleed more than a small hole, and incapacitate quicker.

And if any man thinks a particular gun is too heavy for a woman to carry, try being pregnant for 9 months.

Treeman

I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Kola

Quote from: DuaneWessels on Sep 22, 2022, 11:05 AMWhat about the Glock 19? Or the 48? Maybe get her to chat to someone like Aziza from CHS Guns.

Agree 100% with this, let her have a chat with Aziza.