Pleasantly surprised.

Started by big5ifty, Sep 26, 2022, 05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big5ifty

I picked up a Redhawk today that I bought sight unseen on auction.

It was advertised as a six inch barrel.

Confirming the barrel length to get the holster made shows it's 7.5 . Nice to have a bit of extra weight on a .44 .

Now to locate a Pachmayr Presentation grip.

Treeman

Good Luck, I battled to find grips second hand - even new was a challenge.
That Boer soek a roer group had a set about a month back.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

JamesNotBond

Thats what I have - Redhawk .44, my EDC gun.

Ds J

Why not diy your own grips from some beautiful, exotic wood?

big5ifty

Quote from: Ds J on Sep 27, 2022, 06:10 PMWhy not diy your own grips from some beautiful, exotic wood?

I don't have the skill, time or the tools to attempt that.

Treeman

Quote from: Ds J on Sep 27, 2022, 06:10 PMWhy not diy your own grips from some beautiful, exotic wood?
This is what I did, with sand paper, a file and a normal bench grinder. I took a piece of floor wood found at a building site to a random wood shop asked them to plane it down to grip thickness + a mm and then made my own grips.
That decking wood (Baluti balimi Balsomething) makes nice grips so does the old flooring Parka. You also get to crush chalk to a powder and then hold weapon and see fingers, you can then groove and curve the grip to your own hand.Later I learnt to +3 mm on thickness and using a sheet of 80 sand paper on a glass sheet take the grips down to my exact "like" - usually thicker on one side.

It is so rewarding.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Quote from: 414gates on Sep 28, 2022, 08:09 AM

I don't have the skill, time or the tools to attempt that.
If you set your reloading  room up like you did, you are quiet capable, perhaps buy a wood file and rasp. Its such a small work that it really can be "MacGyvered".
I in a show off moment made a drip, -only only one side for a 6.35 Ruby prewar pistol that had lost a grip. I made it with a drill and different, sand papers, a hand saw to cut and half some plank plank pieces. Remember if you take a plank or floor tile and make a grip, the longest cut is only like the grip length, a few centimeter.
Buy a new box saw, and perhaps a ruff wood file, not a rasp or even both if you want to work quicker.
You may very well find yourself making new grips for weapons just because its so pleasing. 
Therefore I am me.