Nice to have reloading goodies?

Started by Ds J, Aug 04, 2022, 06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ds J

Hi Folks, please give me a few pointers?

My birthday is coming up and the mrs wants to treat me to something for the reloading bench.

Any suggestions for something small and handy for reloading? I have all the basic stuff and get along with it very well.

oafpatroll

You need to hang on to your Mrs tight. She sounds like a keeper :)

Not sure of the intended budget but I like the screwdriver style Lyman Primer Pocket Reamers in small and large. Always keep one to hand when priming and ream any cases that don't accept a primer smoothly.

The Lee Auto Bench Prime would also make it onto my list if I didn't already have one. Nice and smooth with good feel and consistent results. It's also easier on the hand for long sessions of rifle case primimg.

Tripodmvr

Do you have Lee Collet neck dies - if not then that will be a good choice.

big5ifty

In no order of importance :

1. a heavy powder trickler with a long spout that can reach over an electronic scale pan
2. Lee deluxe power quick trim
3. a custom made wooden case tray for your favorite rifle caliber
4, a custom made wooden ammo box for your favorite cartridge
5. a new electronic vernier, as a spare if you already have one

Ds J

Good Evening Folks,

Some handy tips here,thanks.

Please keep them coming!?

I went through the goods and realised that I have a shortage of 223 cases, small rifle primers and .22LR ammunition.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand of wire brushes? Mine don't last.

The collet dies seem like a very good idea.

Treeman

Quote from: oafpatroll link=msg=623 date=

The
url="https://zimbi.co.za/product/lee-auto-bench-prime/"]Lee Auto Bench Prime[/url] would also make it onto my list if I didn't already have one. Nice and smooth with good feel and consistent results. It's also easier on the hand for long sessions of rifle case primimg.
The Lee bench prime is so nice and only 800 bucks. Can order from 480BC here on site as well. Lekker thing, I now have two and have sold all other primer tools - shit you not.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Quote from: Ds J on Aug 04, 2022, 08:38 PMGood Evening Folks,

Some handy tips here,thanks.

Please keep them coming!?

I went through the goods and realised that I have a shortage of 223 cases, small rifle primers and .22LR ammunition.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand of wire brushes? Mine don't last.

The collet dies seem like a very good idea.
You likely have the use once RAM products. Try Parker Hale, you will just never look back.

Do you have a case mouth chamfer tool - also a must.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Any form of case - loaded cartridge tool -  OAL measuring tool is wonderful. Sudami Comparator Anvil Base · Hornady Bullet Comparator
Comparators are a MUST.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Quote from: Treeman on Aug 04, 2022, 10:52 PMAny form of case - loaded cartridge tool -  OAL measuring tool is wonderful. Sudami Comparator Anvil Base · Hornady Bullet Comparator
Comparators are a MUST.

OAL gets measured with the vernier.

How does the comparator make it different?

Or would a runout tool make much difference for hunting cartridges?

big5ifty

Quote from: Ds J on Aug 05, 2022, 03:05 AMHow does the comparator make it different?

The comparator measures base to a point on the bullet ogive. This avoids measuring against the tip, which may be slightly deformed, and so change the measurement. It is useful when you are loading lead-tip bullets.

Quote from: Ds J on Aug 05, 2022, 03:05 AMOr would a runout tool make much difference for hunting cartridges?

It makes a difference if it makes a difference for you.

Runout is a measurement that tells you how

1. far off center your decapping die assembly is in the sizing die
2. if your bullet seating stem doesn't match your bullet profile

Some people get OCD about runout, others never measure runout, just size with no decappig pin assembly, and make sure the bullet seating stem fits the bullet ogive.

Ds J

Quote from: 414gates on Aug 05, 2022, 09:17 AMIt makes a difference if it makes a difference for you.

I hunt to supply healthy meat for the house. My current setup allows for almost-moa accuracy and I am the biggest factor in the chain of accuracy. As such, a runout gauge is not necessary. 

janfred

Wire brushes are consumables. The barrel steel actually wears away the brone wire. One the wire gets too short it no longer cleans in the corners of the grooves. Taken to excess it gets to the point where it no longer cleans in the grooves.

I normally replace mine after every 10 or so uses. You can feel when the friction becomes around 60% from new. At that rate buying PH brushes does not make economic sense.

Ds J

Good morning Folks,

My sincere thanks for the suggestions and ideas. It really made work easier.

Just on a side note: birthdays are not that important to me, and I don't necessarily want any gifts. A quiet day or evening with the family is more than enough. This makes the whole gifting thing troublesome.

Quote from: Treeman on Aug 04, 2022, 10:52 PMAny form of case - loaded cartridge tool -  OAL measuring tool is wonderful. Sudami Comparator Anvil Base · Hornady Bullet Comparator
Comparators are a MUST.

I just had a look at comparators.

It seems that it is something like a Leatherman - once one acquired one, you don't know how you lived without it!

It is indeed a magnificent tool to have.

I'll put it on the list of possibilities.

oafpatroll

I made a comparator out of an m10 with a hole drilled in one flat and groove filed into the opposite flat with a neodymium magnet inset. The groove is sized for the fixed blade of the vernier and the magnet sticks it in place. While it is hardly aerospace grade precise I found it very helpful in getting my seating depth n the ballpark while developing .270 cast bullet loads with three very different bullets. As mentioned above it also eliminates any errors from measuring bullets, especially soft nosed ones, that have been deformed.

Treeman

Quote from: oafpatroll on Aug 07, 2022, 11:59 AMI made a comparator out of an m10 with a hole drilled in one flat and groove filed into the opposite flat with a neodymium magnet inset. The groove is sized for the fixed blade of the vernier and the magnet sticks it in place. While it is hardly aerospace grade precise I found it very helpful in getting my seating depth n the ballpark while developing .270 cast bullet loads with three very different bullets. As mentioned above it also eliminates any errors from measuring bullets, especially soft nosed ones, that have been deformed.
Oaf, cut a shot case in half, cut a slot in body side thats a tight slip over on vernier blade. Use the neck side as your comparator.If its too small tap a larger bullet into neck- measure, tape deeper, measure again. You may find seating and pulling a bullet a few times helps size neck as comparator tool.
If you superheat the case neck, glow it red, you destroy the brass springback, that helps size the neck to what you want it to be as a comparator hole without springback making it difficult.
Therefore I am me.