Propellant Availability

Started by Newton, May 02, 2023, 10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newton

Greetings
I understand that the availability [ in South Africa ] of different propellants ( powders ) varies considerably
Not all stores stock all powders -or- have all powders or even just some powders at any particular time

For those that reload a lot - for a number of different calibers. Which outlet's / store's consistently have the most regular ability to provide a number of different propellants ?

IF they would like to post that information here perhaps a list ( that would help us all ) could be developed ?

JamesNotBond

S365 321 335 seem to be arriving in dribs and drabs, read, saw somewhere MP 200 was on sale as well.

oafpatroll

Quote from: JamesNotBond on May 03, 2023, 11:16 AMS365 321 335 seem to be arriving in dribs and drabs, read, saw somewhere MP 200 was on sale as well.

Haven't come across MP200 and they didn't report making any. Got my hands on some S121 though when a batch of that came through. I believe that MS200 as on the roadmap they relaeased last year but have no idea if that bore any relation to reality.

Mohamed

Seen the following advert on Irene arms telegram account.
Somchem.jpg

My LGS got one single box of MP200 in.

By tomorrow it will be gone.

janfred

Suburban Guns had 40 tins. End of day it was no more. They still have S365 and S265 left.

I can't help thinking back when a lot of people said they will never buy Somchem powder again. Really wish they kept that promise, then there might have been enough powder for the rest of us.

Mohamed

Outdoors and all advertised S321 today, seems like they have quite a bit in stock.

oafpatroll

Ha ha, just goes to show quite how uninformed a guy can be. I would definitely have picked up some MP200 if I'd known it was in the wild.

jager

S365 is now widely available. I see it just about everywhere I go. (In the Western Cape at least)

I really like it, half the price, more in the tin,  and I get better results with S365 vs IMR. Just be sure to buy your legal limit each time of the same batch. Otherwise you are going to do load development again.

I haven't seen S121 in years. That's the primary reason I've stopped reloading for handguns.

The other powder I see just about everywhere these days is the Vihtavouri range.  But it's plenty expensive.   

Hodgdon availabilty seems to be sketchy. Now you see it, now you don't.  Same with IMR.

oafpatroll

There was at least one batch of S121 from which I snagged a few tins either very late last year or early this year. Other than that one I haven't seen any Somchem pistol/shotgun propellant. Since those are what I shoot by far the greatest volume of i would be very, very pleased if they'd fire up the presses on S121/MS200/MP200 and keep them running for a bit as i can make do with any of those three.   

Treeman

S365 seems to be in glut mode, just got a SMS that local Co-Op got 100 tins in.
I still have my National Pride Doubt that anything in Africa will ever improve from last known lowest position, I hope I am wrong.

;D I am such a doos that I actually worry more about SOMCHEM than Eskom.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Newton

From some "playing"around in QUICKLoad looking at Rifle cartridges Somchem does not do too badly. Particularly the bigger cartridges.

If someone has the very latest updates perhaps they could check on Somchem loading's and compare against some of the other propellants,

Has anyone seen - "Triple-Nickel"  ?  Vtvh N555

Treeman

SOMCHEM never did too badly anywhere, we just did that RSA lack of home brew trust, respect and appreciation.
Therefore I am me.

Mohamed

@oafpatroll,you can try Bunker Arms in Woodmead.
MP200.jpg

Treeman

Yes I also got a post for S321 - 341 - And I stand corrected, I am sure the add had S361 as well.
Therefore I am me.