I bought a saw and mincer.

Started by Treeman, Aug 28, 2023, 09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeman

Quote from: DaavG on Oct 25, 2023, 04:07 PMThe 2 books I purchased were:
The River Cottage Curing and Smoking Handbook - simpler approach
Charcuterie : The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing - this is really good.
I think the book I sent you covers everything -well .
 Opinion please - I am obviously of high praise of it as you see.

I am trying to find an affordable hard copy of it
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

Quote from: Treeman on Oct 25, 2023, 07:55 PMI am trying to find an affordable hard copy of it

I suspect it was never published in hard copy. There are no imprint references and the ISBN doesn't bring up anything at dealers.

Treeman

Quote from: oafpatroll on Oct 25, 2023, 08:25 PM
Quote from: Treeman on Oct 25, 2023, 07:55 PMI am trying to find an affordable hard copy of it

I suspect it was never published in hard copy. There are no imprint references and the ISBN doesn't bring up anything at dealers.
https://www.bookmall.co.za/en-gb/product/home-production-of-quality-meats-and-sausages-p-0982426739.html
but at a R1100, I am out. Need to find a second hand book.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Got my frame and racks back today - no more rust.
rack by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

Quote from: Treeman on Nov 03, 2023, 08:25 PM***********************************
https://www.bookmall.co.za/en-gb/product/home-production-of-quality-meats-and-sausages-p-0982426739.html
but at a R1100, I am out. Need to find a second hand book.

Well spotted. That one says it is used. Seems a hell of a lot for a second hand book that isn't collectible. You could probably get it printed for less if you can find a tame print shop.

Treeman

Quote from: DaavG on Nov 06, 2023, 07:25 AMhttps://www.loot.co.za/product/stanley-marianski-home-production-of-quality-meats-and/kjhl-1308-g110
I will look into this NOW, the E Book is not for us old peoples tastes, the PDF does not smell like a book  ;D
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Today and yesterday we been eating my corned meat - brined or pickled meat to some.
My first brined meat was a warthog hind leg that I deboned, it looked a mess with jagged bits and pieces was a ugly color. My test eater, Cody said it was ok and I did not really eat, it just looked "eeuuggh".
My second run was from a receipt ( well sort of) using a front leg, also deboned and also looked real messy, it was really salty.
My third leg was a front leg again, came out nice - done with bone in. I halved the salt and now it is saltless in taste ?. If I recall, 75 gr of salt in 1.5 lt water is very, very salty, but 40 gr is almost no salt taste - so 55 gr salt next time. I added a T/Sp Black pepper, same garlic powder and onion flakes, which made no taste difference.

So yesterday I cubed the meat and sprinkled some salt on it to draw for the night, today it was amazing, nearly 1.5 kg  consumed today.

What I have learned.
Salt is a precise art.
Front legs are messy to work with, bones, sinews and tendons and deboning is a messy matter.
Hind legs are easier in every way and of better appearance.
It is important to trim all edges and tendons - "film" of the meat for appearance.
Give the curing salt time to penetrate properly.

What I need to know.
How does one remove that clear like cling wrap layer, film on the meat - it goes all mushy when cured.
Therefore I am me.