How many bullets can I coat with my BCB Coating??

Started by Bullet Corp, Aug 23, 2022, 10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bullet Corp

A lot of people think it's expensive to coat with BCB Coating because the powder cost more than "powder coating" but this is not true.

First thing to know is that BCB Coating is not applied the same way as powder coating.

BCB COATING NEEDS TO BE FIRST MIXED WITH RECOMMENDED SOLVENT, PRIOR TO USE, AND IS SUITABLE FOR TUMBLE COATING TYPE APPLICATION ONTO YOUR BULLETS.

BCB COATINGS ARE NOT TO BE USED AS POWDER COATING. POWDER COATING IS A GENERAL PURPOSE COATING WHERE BCB COATING HAS BEEN SPECIALLY DESIGNED BY BULLET CORP TO COAT BULLETS.   

Ok so BCB Coating and powder coating is not applied the same way! So the "I get more powder coating for the same price as BCB Coating does not apply here" and that's what a lot of people think. I will get 5kg of powder coating for the same price as 500g of BCB Coating.

Let's have a closer look at what it cost to apply BCB Coating.

500g of BCB Coating will cost you about R970 at the current price. If you are going to use the standard mix ratio of 20g of BCB Coating and 50ml of acetone and 50ml of Alcohol, this is what you will get. Keep in mind you can use more solvent mixture to dilute the mixture even more and you will get more bullets coated than mentioned below.

If we mix the 500g with the solvent mixture using the 20g/100ml mix ration we will get 2500ml of ready to use BCB Coating. Now 2500ml does not sound like a lot but if you use 1ml to every 400g of bullets that's 1000kg of bullets using 1 coat and 500kg of bullets using 2 coats. So how many bullets are in 1000kg? If we take 9mmp 124gr they weight about 8.2kg per 1000. If we divide the 8.2g per bullet in 1000kg that is more than 120000 bullets using 1 coat and more than 60000 bullets using 2 coats. That's a lot of bullets.

Now let's look at the cost per bullet. The 500g cost R970 and 2.5lt of solvent mixture will cost about R100 so that's R1070 for 2.5lt of BCB Coating. Take the R1070 divided by 120000 bullets, that's not even 1 cent per bullet using 1 or 2 Coats.

So it only cost you 1 cents pet bullet using 2 coats that's really not expensive.

oafpatroll

I powder coat for pistol, rifle and shotgun and have excellent results. What does the BC coating do better than powder coat in order for me to consider changing to it?

*edit* on re-reading this I think it could be misinterpreted as trying to be clever. It's a serious question, keen to understand what the product offers over a powder coat application.

Treeman

I would also like a answer to this question. I think I know two reasons, but will wait for answers before getting clever.

One thing I am wobbly on though - Nearly R2000 a kg ? the markup must be 1000 %, there are very few coatings that fall into that pricing zone and I am not going to fall for the "its expensive to manufacture".

I would like to get these questions answered, I would also like to be wrong about the markup statement (get that being screwed over feeling out of the way)

That said, I must also say thank you for giving us 3rd worlders your wonderful bullets, a dash of pleasure for us all.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Bullet Corp

Quote from: oafpatroll on Aug 23, 2022, 01:17 PMI powder coat for pistol, rifle and shotgun and have excellent results. What does the BC coating do better than powder coat in order for me to consider changing to it?

*edit* on re-reading this I think it could be misinterpreted as trying to be clever. It's a serious question, keen to understand what the product offers over a powder coat application.

BCB Coating has been designed for bullets so it will give you all the protections and lubrication you need. We have done a blog post on this topic a while ago. Please see link to the blog post.
https://www.bulletcorp.co.za/index.php?route=extension/d_blog_module/post&post_id=3
If there are any other specific questions you have about the process or the coating you are welcome to ask.

Bullet Corp

Quote from: Treeman on Aug 23, 2022, 05:09 PMI would also like a answer to this question. I think I know two reasons, but will wait for answers before getting clever.

One thing I am wobbly on though - Nearly R2000 a kg ? the markup must be 1000 %, there are very few coatings that fall into that pricing zone and I am not going to fall for the "its expensive to manufacture".

I would like to get these questions answered, I would also like to be wrong about the markup statement (get that being screwed over feeling out of the way)

That said, I must also say thank you for giving us 3rd worlders your wonderful bullets, a dash of pleasure for us all.

Powder coating and BCB Coating cannot be compared as to how much powder I get for the same amount of money. BCB Coating gets dissolved in solvents increasing the amount by at least 5 times.
The actual cost per bullet to coat using BCB coating is like 1c so with 1kg of BCB Coating you can coat 100000 to 120000 thousand 9mm 124grs. In my calculations that's a lot cheaper than powder coating. How many bullets can you coat using 1kg of powder coating?
It's always a pleasure making a quality product for everyone to enjoy!

oafpatroll

Quote from: Bullet Corp on Aug 24, 2022, 12:41 PM
Quote from: oafpatroll on Aug 23, 2022, 01:17 PMI powder coat for pistol, rifle and shotgun and have excellent results. What does the BC coating do better than powder coat in order for me to consider changing to it?

BCB Coating has been designed for bullets so it will give you all the protections and lubrication you need. We have done a blog post on this topic a while ago. Please see link to the blog post.
https://www.bulletcorp.co.za/index.php?route=extension/d_blog_module/post&post_id=3
If there are any other specific questions you have about the process or the coating you are welcome to ask.

Thanks. I had a read over the material and other than the point about the BC coating being harder than powder coat, which I can't dispute without testing it, I disagree with much of what's in the table wrt to the shortcomings of powder coating based on my personal experience of it. If some BC coating comes up second hand for a real bargain price I'll give it a try though. 

Treeman

Quote from: Bullet Corp on Aug 24, 2022, 12:46 PM
Quote from: Treeman on Aug 23, 2022, 05:09 PMIn my calculations that's a lot cheaper than powder coating. How many bullets can you coat using 1kg of powder coating?

Will this product ever be available for persons who will perhaps coat 2000 bullets in their life as a one of many hobbies $$ amounts? Say R200 worth of coating ? I feel more  people would buy it as a " I would like to try that" venture.

I do not question your business reasons, but it would be nice to be able to try something and not have it cost a grand.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

This appears to be a exciting product indeed.
Therefore I am me.

JamesNotBond

Are there any Bullet Corp coating video's available?

Would be nice to see the process and result.

Bullet Corp

Quote from: Treeman on Aug 24, 2022, 04:06 PM
Quote from: Bullet Corp on Aug 24, 2022, 12:46 PM
Quote from: Treeman on Aug 23, 2022, 05:09 PMIn my calculations that's a lot cheaper than powder coating. How many bullets can you coat using 1kg of powder coating?

Yes we sell in 100g, 500g and 1kg

https://www.bulletcorp.co.za/BCB-Coating

Will this product ever be available for persons who will perhaps coat 2000 bullets in their life as a one of many hobbies $$ amounts? Say R200 worth of coating ? I feel more  people would buy it as a " I would like to try that" venture.

I do not question your business reasons, but it would be nice to be able to try something and not have it cost a grand.

Bullet Corp

Quote from: JamesNotBond on Aug 24, 2022, 04:16 PMAre there any Bullet Corp coating video's available?

Would be nice to see the process and result.

Hi Yes there is a few videos and the coating instruction. We also offer full support on the product.

https://www.bulletcorp.co.za/Coating-Instructions-BCB-Coating

Treeman

oh wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that video really changed a lot of perspective.

I know its only a video, but guessing that its likely 90 % as easy as shown ???? Wow !! ( still 100% easier than powder coating)

;D  so now I need to shoot some more bullets to need some more bullets.

Thank you again for the details.
Therefore I am me.

Bullet Corp

Quote from: Treeman on Aug 24, 2022, 11:45 PMoh wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that video really changed a lot of perspective.

I know its only a video, but guessing that its likely 90 % as easy as shown ???? Wow !! ( still 100% easier than powder coating)

;D  so now I need to shoot some more bullets to need some more bullets.

Thank you again for the details.

Its really an easy process once you understand it and know how to do it. Its fast and clean and the results speak for it self.  ;D

Treeman

I am just so glad that it's not just sold in 500 gr packs at a grand a go. Guess its play time for me then.
Therefore I am me.

Bullet Corp

Quote from: Treeman on Aug 25, 2022, 09:14 AMI am just so glad that it's not just sold in 500 gr packs at a grand a go. Guess its play time for me then.

Yes with the 100 gram if you work nicely with it you can do 10 to 12 thousand 9mm 124grs.