How many bullets can I coat with my BCB Coating??

Started by Bullet Corp, Aug 23, 2022, 10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oafpatroll

Quote from: Treeman on Aug 24, 2022, 11:45 PMI know its only a video, but guessing that its likely 90 % as easy as shown ???? Wow !! ( still 100% easier than powder coating)

For my interest, what do you find hard about powder coating?

For me it's a two and a half step (i.e. shake, bake and dump in water) process that is 2 out of 5 on the banana scale when doing pistol bullets and slugs. Rifle bullets add hand stacking as a step and maybe another half banana if your fingers are a bit lomp. 

Treeman

Quote from: oafpatroll on Aug 25, 2022, 09:48 AM
Quote from: Treeman on Aug 24, 2022, 11:45 PMI know its only a video, but guessing that its likely 90 % as easy as shown ???? Wow !! ( still 100% easier than powder coating)

For me it's a two and a half step (i.e. shake, bake and dump in water) process that is 2 out of 5 on the banana scale when doing pistol bullets and slugs. Rifle bullets add hand stacking as a step and maybe another half banana if your fingers are a bit lomp. 
Usable result, yes no problem, pretty for eye much less easy. I find I have uneven coating, molding where bullets touched surfaces. My bullets all on closer inspection have thicker and thinner coatings and pooling at lower edges. This is mostly ironed out when sized, but still not ideal.
I am getting the impression this process allows one to throw the bullets on a sheet and bake and (hopefully) get bought like results.
Would still like to see how they do it by the 1000 x at the factory, getting that glass like perfect finish.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Bullet Corp

Try doing 20000 thousand bullets a day using powder coating and standing all of them up straight etc. Using our coating BCB Coating its supper fast and easy and clean. Imagine working with powder all the time doing 20k bullets a day. Using the wet method is a lot faster and cleaner and cheaper. No need to stand bullets up straight they don't bake and get stuck onto everything it just works. Our coating is being used by a bunch of Bullet Casters all over the world at the moment and increasing. BCB Coating has been designed for Bullets and once you understand the process and get it right you will never use powder coating again!

Bullet Corp

Just look at the bullets. They are perfectly coated everywhere no spots and smooth even and perfect. Then you still get all the performance and protection from the BCB Coating9mm 124gr RN Blue.png9mm 124gr RN Gunmetal.png 

Bullet Corp

We do sell the tumblers if you are serious about the process. The tumblers can also be used to wash your brass. But you can do the whole process without the tumblers. Here is a picture of some bullets getting ready for its second coat. 

https://www.bulletcorp.co.za/Equipment/Tumblers/BCBC-TumblerTumblers.png

Bullet Corp

Just done the second and last coat. Will dry them for 5min them they will go into the oven as it. When the 5min drying is done you just shake them loose on the tray and bake.125gr MP Gunmetal.png160gr MP Black.png 

Bullet Corp

Second coat is done. Now they will cool down for 5min and will go back into the tumbler to spin for 2 mins. This will make them more shiny and smooth. Then they will go to the sizing machine and they are done. The 2 coat process take about 1 hour to do.160gr MP Black second coat.png

Bullet Corp

9mm 125gr Match Pro Gunmetal all done just came out of the sizing machine.125gr MP Gunmetal sized.png

oafpatroll

Quote from: Bullet Corp on Aug 26, 2022, 07:24 AM

Try doing 20000 thousand bullets a day using powder coating and standing all of them up straight etc. Using our coating BCB Coating its supper fast and easy and clean. Imagine working with powder all the time doing 20k bullets a day. Using the wet method is a lot faster and cleaner and cheaper. No need to stand bullets up straight they don't bake and get stuck onto everything it just works. Our coating is being used by a bunch of Bullet Casters all over the world at the moment and increasing. BCB Coating has been designed for Bullets and once you understand the process and get it right you will never use powder coating again!

I coat for my own consumption and do pistol bullets in batches of 1250 so i guess my use case and needs are different. I tumble them in a pvc drum till they are covered and then dump them in a chip fryer basket. Bake for 10 minutes and give them a vigorous shake, bake for another 5 minutes and then dump in a bucket of water. Chuck them on a towel and air dry and they are ready for sizing. I can easily do three batches in an hour and half including setup and packing away without rushing. They aren't as aesthetically pleasing as yours but that isn't important to me.

Rifle bullets I take a bit more care with in that I stand them up on their bases in a silicone mini ice block tray. That's the only extra step and I can do 100 in a minute or two. They come out looking as nice as yours. As I said before, I'll certainly try the product out if i get hold of some cheap but for my purposes it seems to be more work than I currently put in to get adequate results.

oafpatroll

Quote from: Treeman on Aug 25, 2022, 10:03 PM

Usable result, yes no problem, pretty for eye much less easy. I find I have uneven coating, molding where bullets touched surfaces. My bullets all on closer inspection have thicker and thinner coatings and pooling at lower edges. This is mostly ironed out when sized, but still not ideal.
I am getting the impression this process allows one to throw the bullets on a sheet and bake and (hopefully) get bought like results.
Would still like to see how they do it by the 1000 x at the factory, getting that glass like perfect finish.

From what you describe I'd suspect that you are using too much powder and baking it too cool and/or not for long enough. There are lots of formulations of powder coat and they are engineered to do different things. The stuff I have landed on is intended for exterior automotive components like windscreen wiper arms etc. It bakes relatively hot and flows to detail. When I get it right my bullets 'grow' just over a thousandth of an inch with a complete and very even coat.