Reloading cast bullets?

Started by Ds J, Jun 22, 2022, 01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ds J

My thanks to Treeman for a package of bullets to test in my 303.

Question:

What are the do's and don'ts for reloading cast bullets?

Mine have been plugged (little copper base plate added) and should therefore be able to achieve higher speeds without stripping in the lands.

Any tips and suggestions appreciated!

oafpatroll

I cast and powdercoat for all my guns including my .270 Win. Treeman will be able to give you the answer on what sort of velocities he achieved without leading but my understanding is that inside of 2500fps powder coated and gas checked bullets are OK. I haven't taken mine that high but at 2000 I experienced no leading and very nice accuracy from one of the three bullets (a very old Lyman on the left) i experimented with.

Treeman

You do not need a gas check with PC bullets. I have to date never shot a lead cast bullet from a rifle in rifle caliber, only in pistol calibers. The forums I read on also claim 2500 fps are achievable without leading ? Most shooters seem to limit themselves to 2200-2300fps.
I have only just skirted the 2000 fps mark.

Once I find a .303 mold in .314 size I will test higher velocities.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

To test those 303 bullets, use S335. Lee's Reloading Manual has a formula that calculates a charge if you input a speed that you wish to achieve. Ds J, I will send you photos if you do not have that manual. Just let me know.

oafpatroll

Quote from: Treeman on Jun 23, 2022, 09:30 PMYou do not need a gas check with PC bullets. I have to date never shot a lead cast bullet from a rifle in rifle caliber, only in pistol calibers.

I think this may be a bold statement especially wrt to rifle bullets. I hope it's true but I doubt it's an absolute. 

Ds J

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Jun 24, 2022, 09:28 AMTo test those 303 bullets, use S335. Lee's Reloading Manual has a formula that calculates a charge if you input a speed that you wish to achieve. Ds J, I will send you photos if you do not have that manual. Just let me know.

Thanks, I will check once I am home and let you know if necessary.