.270 Win S365 finished.

Started by Shotofrank, Jun 30, 2022, 08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotofrank

What is going to be the replacement of choice, obtainable and re-obtainable ?
Why, when and where. Then death.

Tripodmvr

Batches of S365 are again coming onto dealers shelves. Try and reserve a tin or two from your LGS. The foreign propellants have also become difficult to obtain.

Treeman

Just bought the only tin of propellant in town it seems - H ?? 4650 I think (tin is still at at work). Said to be suitable for 270 - 7mm -
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

Quote from: Treeman on Jun 30, 2022, 01:15 PMJust bought the only tin of propellant in town it seems - H ?? 4650 I think (tin is still at at work). Said to be suitable for 270 - 7mm -
Is that not 4350? I use it in my 270 for standard velocity jacketed loads and 4198 for reduced velocity cast loads.

big5ifty

If you wondering which powder to use, download a few reloading manuals, and see which powder they use for your bullet weight.

Chances are at least one of them is in stock somewhere, unless you in an outlying area.

We are spoiled for choice now with Hodgdon, Vihtavuori, IMR and a few others.

Treeman

The powder I have now is H4350. I am starting a friend out in reloading, using Hornady 150gr I/L bullets. I have enough S365 for self, but he has to start somewhere. I see much debate on the net as to max load, listed as from 48 gr right to everyone uses 53+ gr loads.
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

What are your rifles dimensions and parameters you are going to use? Quick Load can give an idea of where to start with the IMR4350.

Treeman

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Jul 09, 2022, 04:20 PMWhat are your rifles dimensions and parameters you are going to use? Quick Load can give an idea of where to start with the IMR4350.
The powder I have is H4350. I have access to quick load, not mine, but I may use it. I found that the loads suggested and max vary hugely, even on sites like Hodgdon, Hornady and so forth.
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

Start at the lowest suggested charge and work up from that. Speed will give a very good indication of pressure and then the QL calcs will start to make sense.

oafpatroll

I landed on 50.2gr IMR 4350 behind a 140gr Hornady Interlock BTSP for 2850 fps ave out of my Winchester Model 70 Sporter. That provided impressive (for me at least) accuracy with 5 shot 100m groups inside of 20mm.

This was inside of the load parameters from 3 current sources but treat with caution yada yada yada.

Tripodmvr

QL calculates about 55K psi. A safe load that ensures good burning characteristics and most probably a smallish extreme spread.

oafpatroll

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Jul 10, 2022, 08:13 PMQL calculates about 55K psi. A safe load that ensures good burning characteristics and most probably a smallish extreme spread.

QL knows of what it speaks  ;)

It gave 34fps ES over 25 shots which were split between two different days, one cool and one hot.

Joker270Win

Hello all,

I have just purchased a 270 win, busy researching some reloading data.

I am using S365 powder with Hornady 140 gr Interlock BTSP tips.

Anybody that can point me in the right direction.

I am looking at a start load of 54.6 gr that should give +-2800ft/s (according to Gordons reloading tool.

Just want to ensure that I am safe.

Struggling to get an idea online, very few load data for S365 with 140 gr tips.

Happy reloading!!

big5ifty

There is data for 150 grainers.

Somchem for 270 Win.

Use the S365 start powder data for the 150 grainers, and work up from there.

The start load you have from Gordon's is already past the max load for 130 grainers, so rather back off to the start load for 150 grainers from the Somchem data, and work up to what is pressure safe in your rifle.

If 54 grains is the max for 130 grainers, it's going to be beyond the max for a heavier bullet.

Tripodmvr

140gr SPEER SP   
Start   48.2   2 546   52.8
Max   53.5   2 912   52.4

This is for a 24 inch barrel.