Reloading tips for hunting ammo

Started by Tripodmvr, Oct 22, 2022, 08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripodmvr

Shotofrank

I like what he said about crimp. Never liked crimp in a rifle load.
Why, when and where. Then death.

janfred

When using iffy quality brass, a crimp actually improves dispersion.

That only works if the bullets in question have a cannelure. Also, you are then licked to a specific overall length.

Tripodmvr

If you dont overdo the pressure the Lee Collet Crimping Die helps with better grip and reduces ES. You don't need a cannelure.

janfred

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Oct 27, 2022, 09:45 PMIf you dont overdo the pressure the Lee Collet Crimping Die helps with better grip and reduces ES. You don't need a cannelure.

With the difference in springback between lead and brass, crimping non-canelure brass does not give much improvement. And, when overdone, reduces neck-tension.

Treeman

Quote from: janfred on Nov 08, 2022, 07:35 AM
Quote from: Tripodmvr on Oct 27, 2022, 09:45 PMIf you dont overdo the pressure the Lee Collet Crimping Die helps with better grip and reduces ES. You don't need a cannelure.

With the difference in springback between lead and brass, crimping non-canelure brass does not give much improvement. And, when overdone, reduces neck-tension.
And I believe it increases bullet failure when used on the edge of what a cup and core bullet can do. Produces a failure start point in the bullet.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.