My case prep

Started by janfred, Aug 21, 2023, 09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Againstthegrains

I asked because I know a few guys who are sticklers for accuracy, that anneal each time they reload. The claim, is that the case neck hardening and therefor neck tension increases, cumulatively after each loading/firing cycle. By annealing each time, they have identical neck tension across all brass, no matter the age/number of cycles. They shoot oddball calibers, so they have to make sure the brass lasts a long time.

janfred

This is where good quality components come in. It appears that Lapua necks harden at a similar rate. Provided I do not mix my cases, neck tension seems to be reasonably consistent over the whole batch from a subjective point of view. For all I know the hardness can be all over the place; as long as the ES/SD is within limits, I don't care

Also, the rifle was chambered with a custom reamer so the neck diameter is 0.342" and the base is at minimum SAAMI spec. The brass does not get worked as hard as with a standard chamber.

I think people tend to assign values to some reloading steps inconsistent with actual results.

oafpatroll

Quote from: janfred on Dec 25, 2023, 04:38 AMI think people tend to assign values to some reloading steps inconsistent with actual results.

^This. A small fraction of reloaders I have ever met measure the effects of changes to a single variable let alone record it for subsequent analysis.

janfred

To me one of the most irritating comebacks from some experienced reloaders is "just in case it makes a difference".