Tumbling media activator.

Started by Treeman, Nov 18, 2023, 07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeman

What does tumbling media activator do ?, I understand what washing media does (I think), but how does a few drops of this stuff make magic?
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

Media is cheap in America, but to use it for a long time, I have washed it with dishwash and it comes out clean and works very well. Leave it in the sun to dry.

What is the media activator. I cannot find it it on the internet under that name.

Lymans is called Turbo charge (reactivator )
RCBS calls theres Polishing compound
mid-way sells Flitz tumbler/media additve
or some guys have good luck with liquid car wax

Treeman

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Nov 18, 2023, 07:58 PMMedia is cheap in America, but to use it for a long time, I have washed it with dishwash and it comes out clean and works very well. Leave it in the sun to dry.

What is the media activator. I cannot find it it on the internet under that name.

Lymans is called Turbo charge (reactivator )
RCBS calls theres Polishing compound
mid-way sells Flitz tumbler/media additve
or some guys have good luck with liquid car wax

Lymans is called Turbo charge (reactivator ) - I suppose I recalled the generic name incorrectly because I remembered the claims as the name, reactivates etc.
Liquid car wax just polishes and leaves better burnish effect, concerns me in regard to bolt thrust.
The above is a old question I never got to asking, just read and saw a tumbling reactivate liquid, just a few drops will get your brash shiny again.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Looked it up again,**************** Lyman Turbo Charger Media Reactivator is designed to restore previously used corncob media making it a more effective cleaning and polishing material.

There used to be a few of these products, back in the day when I needed to have everything on the market - everything.

Still asking, how would it activate the used media ?
Therefore I am me.

I have never cared for the brand name media additives, mostly because of the price.

What I have used is Shield Mirraplate liquid car polish.  It costs R70 per bottle at my local Checkers.

I use it on untreated corn cob media.  Unfortunately my source for this media has dried up, so I have to stretch my current stock as far as I can.  The Shield polish helps with this.

Eventually, the media gets filled with dirt and needs to be washed.  When I'm lazy, I just use a paper towel, torn into 1,5" strips, which I add to the media.  The paper absorbs all the dirt, in stead of it sticking to the cases and tumbler.  After 3 or 4 runs, I replace the dirty paper.

I doubt that much of the polish remains on the cases.  You use very little of it, about a spoon full.  I can not detect it on the tumbled cases in any way.  Especially with handgun brass, I still need to lightly lube them before sizing in a TC die.  I have no actual measurements to prove it, but I don't think using the car polish will increase your bolt thrust measurably.

Treeman

223, what is the gain in using the polish then ? With no sarcasm meant, your above seems to indicate that it does very little - or is that very little actually enough.
Therefore I am me.

NoStepOnSnek88

Quote from: 223 on Nov 30, 2023, 07:08 PMI have never cared for the brand name media additives, mostly because of the price.

I use it on untreated corn cob media.  Unfortunately my source for this media has dried up, so I have to stretch my current stock as far as I can.

@223 , quite awhile ago I read that crushed peach pip media is one of the best or the best tumbling media to use, besides stainless Steel media pins.

Not sure how true that is and what the price difference would be or the availability your side, as I only load for 9mmP and I hand wash my casings.

Here's a link to what I'm referring to.

https://www.shootingstuff.co.za/shooting-stuff-crushed-peach-pip-media.html

a true Hoplophile, this is the way.
How To Fight Gun Control South Africa 🇿🇦
Telegram Main Group Link: https://t.me/+qzLqIPl_FEg1ZDA0

Treeman

Peach pip and Walnut, but ya, find it first.
Therefore I am me.

janfred

I puchased a 20kg bag of it for <R300 lat year December at Wildman Capegate. Haven't used any of it yet as I still have two full Lyman containers.

Treeman

Got my last Walnut from a jeweller supply store. Cape Watch Maker Supply"s I think
Therefore I am me.

janfred

Quote from: Treeman on Dec 03, 2023, 07:29 PMGot my last Walnut from a jeweller supply store. Cape Watch Maker Supply"s I think
I won't support their onlone shop again.

What they deliver is not the same as what is shown on their website. If you are unhappy, you still have to pay the courier service to send it back to them.

Lesson learnt

oafpatroll

What advantages does dry vibratory tumplbing offer over wet with pins?

Treeman

Quote from: oafpatroll on Dec 04, 2023, 07:22 AMWhat advantages does dry vibratory tumplbing offer over wet with pins?
Product is dry and ready to use after a blow off or just a shake in a towel. Other than that wet cleaning is cleaner, shinier and quicker - excluding drying time.

How ever, if you have a tray and an oven set on lowest with fans running, you can throw the cases in on an old towel in the oven after a mere shake, shake in the towel beforehand. 15 minutes later you have hot dry cases which if moved around on towel once after oven is switched of and fans left on for further 15 mins are totally, absolutely  dry and ready for reloading.   
Therefore I am me.

janfred

One advantage is that it doesn't remove the soot inside bottleneck cases. So you don't have to dry lube the necks before seating bullets.

Treeman

Quote from: janfred on Dec 04, 2023, 06:21 PMOne advantage is that it doesn't remove the soot inside bottleneck cases. So you don't have to dry lube the necks before seating bullets.
This I did not think of.
Therefore I am me.