When & how does reloading improve accuracy?

Started by Ds J, Dec 23, 2023, 10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Againstthegrains

Quote from: Ds J on Dec 28, 2023, 07:25 AM
Quote from: 223 on Dec 27, 2023, 09:21 PMMy setup is a 6x fixed telescope on all my hunting rifles, which are basically stock standard themselves.

I love a fixed scope for hunting. By nature of the simplicity of the design, you always get more bang for your buck with respect to image quality. When you shoot a lot of the same kind of animal, you get good at judging distance based on the size of the animal in the scope picture. The only downside, is if you want to use the same scope of delicate load development work and target shooting. But they have become very scarce, a pity.

janfred

I have done load development using peep sights for most of my shooting experience over 20 years. You might be surprised how precise you can aim and shoot like that. No special skill required.

I see a lot of times shooters blame the low magnification scopes that they use when in actual fact it is the load or the rifle that is not producing the groups that they want.

Ds J

Quote from: janfred on Dec 28, 2023, 11:29 PMI have done load development using peep sights for most of my shooting experience over 20 years. You might be surprised how precise you can aim and shoot like that. No special skill required.

I see a lot of times shooters blame the low magnification scopes that they use when in actual fact it is the load or the rifle that is not producing the groups that they want.

Please elaborate - which calibres and distances?

janfred

big5ifty

Quote from: Ds J on Dec 29, 2023, 02:22 AM
Quote from: janfred on Dec 28, 2023, 11:29 PMI see a lot of times shooters blame the low magnification scopes that they use when in actual fact it is the load or the rifle that is not producing the groups that they want.

Please elaborate - which calibres and distances?

I know a 50 BMG shooter that uses a 10x fixed power scope. Good enough for him to compete with to 2 miles.