A " new" 30 Cal

Started by Newton, Jan 01, 2024, 07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Againstthegrains

Got it!! It's a smooth feeding ectomorph version of a 300WSM ;D

Should be a winner as a long distance hunting round.

Newton

Quote from: Againstthegrains on Jan 12, 2024, 08:22 AMGot it!! It's a smooth feeding ectomorph version of a 300WSM ;D

Should be a winner as a long distance hunting round.
Will only know when I actually get a reamer and do the conversion
The 7mm Rem Mag modified in similar way will I think perhaps be a better long range cartridge ?
Higher velocity on the same weight 150 /165 gr projectiles
Perhaps an 8mm ( 323) for heavier bullets ?

Againstthegrains

I like the way you think, but then you are going into 280AI, 7mm Tombi, 284Win and 7mm WSM territory. Either of which would be my preferred long distance hunting caliber, if only there were guns and brass easily available in one of these.

By guns I mean a choice of standard or heavy barrel Howa (or there about) and brass, off the shelf quality like Lapua or Norma. Its just getting so hard to find stuff these days that I can understand people going for the 4 gun combo of 12g, 223, 308 and 9mm.

Newton

Quote from: Againstthegrains on Jan 12, 2024, 02:41 PMI like the way you think, but then you are going into 280AI, 7mm Tombi, 284Win and 7mm WSM territory.
if only there were guns and brass easily available in one of these.
You missed out the Sherman offerings as well as the 7x64 Brenneke ( more or less the 280 )

I am not trying to compete with whatever else is out there
Just making something that appeals to me - and - is at least as good as the parent cartridge
Parent cartridge being popular with lots of brass
That works well as a hunting - or casual target rifle cartridge
Where the modified cartridge has the same head stamp as the original

Newton

An Update;

SO ..
Courtesy of a kind gun-shop I was able to do some testing
I could not get a definitive answer as to the maximum Cartridge OAL of the HOWA 300WM
I have read that the Remington 700 action has a COAL of 92mm ( 3.622 )
This dimension was something I needed to verify for purposes of my project

I am happy to disclose that my dummy round at COAL of 87mm ( 3.425 ) fit without any problems in the internal box magazine of a HOWA 300WM.
In fact could probably add an extra mm or two
The dummy round fitted snug in the magazine and was held by the feedrails no problem
Bolt picked it up OK and could feed fine
Indicates no modifications to bolt or receiver ( action ) necessary

Next step now is to order the reamer.

Newton

Quote from: Againstthegrains on Jan 12, 2024, 02:41 PMI like the way you think,
By guns I mean a choice of standard or heavy barrel Howa (or there about)
Lapua or Norma.
HOWA available in 300WM in a 26" Varmint ( heavy ) barrel at HABITAT AFRICA George branch
Norma as well as Lapua brass available for the 300WM

Againstthegrains

Quote from: Newton on Feb 18, 2024, 08:54 PM
Quote from: Againstthegrains on Jan 12, 2024, 02:41 PMI like the way you think,
By guns I mean a choice of standard or heavy barrel Howa (or there about)
Lapua or Norma.
HOWA available in 300WM in a 26" Varmint ( heavy ) barrel at HABITAT AFRICA George branch
Norma as well as Lapua brass available for the 300WM

That's where I shop. I basically had a choice between the 26" Heavy barrel Howa in 308 and 300WM. I went for the 308. A real conversation stopper. Like telling your friends you bought a new car, a white Toyota Carolla 1.3. Nobody even goes outside to have a look. I hope I have no regrets not super sizing and going for a 300WM.

oafpatroll

TStone over on GS has Howa working rifles which he speaks highly of. He's probably taken more game himself than all of my hunting friends put together and then some so his opinion carries weight for me. My favourite vehicle of all time after my Landcruiser was a 1.3 white Corolla btw 😉.

Treeman

I have a Howa and have worked on a good few of them. I can only say in the world of cars, whatever your Toyota, ford is, the Howa's will fit in nicely as a Hyundai or Havel. They here, they not going away and more and more people are realizing just how the same or better they are.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Newton

Quote from: Againstthegrains on Feb 19, 2024, 09:27 PMThat's where I shop. I basically had a choice between the 26" Heavy barrel Howa in 308 and 300WM. I went for the 308. A real conversation stopper. Like telling your friends you bought a new car, a white Toyota Carolla 1.3. Nobody even goes outside to have a look. I hope I have no regrets not super sizing and going for a 300WM.
I have seen the HOWA in .223 as well as .308 in "varmint" barrel configuration - I really like them
The 300WM comes into it's own with heavy bullets 200gr up at longer range - this is where it surpasses the .308
Also for large heavy game = Eland
You now have a good excuse to buy another rifle
However with a 26" barrel you will have to look at a - REFLEX suppressor ....
BTW;
Toyota TAZZ STILL selling at a premium people who have them do not want to sell
Your "friends" are rather stupid  :)

Newton

Quote from: Treeman on Feb 19, 2024, 10:15 PMI have a Howa and have worked on a good few of them. I can only say in the world of cars, whatever your Toyota, ford is, the Howa's will fit in nicely as a Hyundai or Havel. They here, they not going away and more and more people are realizing just how the same or better they are.
I would suggest a HOWA is a - HILUX
BOTH made in Japan NO Chinese / Korean "junk"
Should you wish a "Gelandewagen" you will have to buy an after-market action ... BAT / BORDEN / DEFIANCE and so on

Custom Actions

Be prepared to fork out anything from R50.000.00 upwards

The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Againstthegrains

Quote from: Newton on Feb 20, 2024, 06:50 AMToyota TAZZ STILL selling at a premium people who have them do not want to sell
Your "friends" are rather stupid  :)

After 150,000km of abuse, I sold my white Tazz to the company I worked for. They drove it for another 200,000km loaded with hefty nursing sisters and a 150kg driver over the worst township roads imaginable.

I should have bought two, put them on blocks and saved them for my kids ;)

Treeman

My mothers Tazz is 22 years old. I offered her a Susuki as a last living years car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No way Hoze", she is not parting with the Tazz.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.