Propaganda never dies

Started by Newton, Feb 04, 2024, 09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newton

I enjoy watching Russian movies - cause you can often find full length ones without restrictions
Probably because they actually want you to watch them and the movies come with English subtitles

Like this one

One obviously understands the message but still very interesting ( soldiers are still soldiers )
I would suggest all the weapons correct for period

Seeing as Putin is still fighting the - "Great patriotic War" [Вели́кая Оте́чественная война́] against modern day "Nazis"
It all comes in handy

Reminds me of the American ... WIND TALKERS
One might say that the Navajo were related to the Yakutsk

Againstthegrains

Thanks for the link, I landed up seeing a few of them. I find it interesting that the movies portrayed the Germans as being smart, innovative, having good leaders, and being technically superior.

Hats off to their integrity.

Newton

If you liked that here is something else - still with a military theme

Much as one might dislike some aspects of what America is today one needs to look beyond that and see what one can learn.
One does not become a Navy Seal and an Admiral being a dumbass

Againstthegrains

The reason why the Germans were so effective was that the officers were educated men of high quality, and were given a lot of leeway to make decisions for themselves and to adjust to the local circumstances.

Its for the same reason that the Ukrainians did so well in the beginning of the war compared to the Russians. Once the Russians learned from this, is became more of a stalemate. 

Treeman

Quote from: Againstthegrains on Feb 07, 2024, 09:06 PMThanks for the link, I landed up seeing a few of them. I find it interesting that the movies portrayed the Germans as being smart, innovative, having good leaders, and being technically superior.

I think they likely were in the beginning
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Againstthegrains

Quote from: Treeman on Feb 08, 2024, 08:37 PM
Quote from: Againstthegrains on Feb 07, 2024, 09:06 PMThanks for the link, I landed up seeing a few of them. I find it interesting that the movies portrayed the Germans as being smart, innovative, having good leaders, and being technically superior.

I think they likely were in the beginning

I was going to add, that the Russians relied on meat grinder tactics and sheer mass and numbers to overcome. It seems like not much has changed.

oafpatroll

Quote from: Againstthegrains on Feb 09, 2024, 07:37 AMI was going to add, that the Russians relied on meat grinder tactics and sheer mass and numbers to overcome. It seems like not much has changed.

Zhukov famously used companies of largely unarmed troops to clear mine fields in the assault on Berlin as he figured that it would be the quickest way. They've never been scared of a casualty or two. 

Againstthegrains

Quote from: oafpatroll on Feb 09, 2024, 08:26 AMZhukov famously used companies of largely unarmed troops to clear mine fields in the assault on Berlin as he figured that it would be the quickest way. They've never been scared of a casualty or two. 

I guess if you use Vodka as an aid to pregnancy, than having fetal alcohol syndrome is the correct skill set for mine clearing operations in the Russian infantry :o

Newton

Staying somewhat within the current theme - perhaps this fascinating story will be passed by the censors

He escaped from a gulag in Siberia and traveled 14,000 km (8700 mi) for 3 years to return home

Never give up , Never give in

Perhaps it might encourage South African companies to reply to their emails ?

Treeman

Read the book called the Long walk, not nelsons long sit.  I read the book 40 years ago in a school library, was so impressed by it that I read it again a few years after leaving school.
I recalled the book about 10 years ago and with the help of this marvelous thing called internet, I was able to trace and buy my own cop. I proceeded to read the book again 2 - 3 years ago and while doing so so the news headlines, " last survivor of the Long Walk dies"
I think they walked 5000 km, from Siberian Steppe through Mongolia - the Gobi Desert, mentions 4 - 5 days without water.

If ever I can suggest a read , read the Long Walk - small book, 4 - 5 hour read.
Absolutely incredible.
Therefore I am me.

Newton

Quote from: Treeman on Feb 13, 2024, 10:48 AMIf ever I can suggest a read , read the Long Walk - small book, 4 - 5 hour read.
Absolutely incredible.
Thanks Treeman
Yes I am sure I have a copy here somewhere
Sadly the female member of the party never made it

Treeman

Quote from: Newton on Feb 18, 2024, 09:01 PM
Quote from: Treeman on Feb 13, 2024, 10:48 AMIf ever I can suggest a read , read the Long Walk - small book, 4 - 5 hour read.
Absolutely incredible.
Thanks Treeman
Yes I am sure I have a copy here somewhere
Sadly the female member of the party never made it

What amazes me is that through it all, they did not think of eating the snakes. Like how do you die from hunger while trying to avoid big snakes?
I was greatly saddened when I read that the author had died, I have carried him with me most of my life. 
Therefore I am me.