Powder measure

Started by ARK, May 24, 2022, 08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big5ifty

Quote from: ARK on May 25, 2022, 09:25 PMDo you think that. 22 charges are too small to be thrown successfully?

You can't reload that, but the smallest caliber I reloaded was a 25 ACP, and it took one grain of MP200. The only powder measure I had that could drop that small amount reliably was a very old manually operated Dillon. You can also get a micro disk set from Lee to do the same job using the auto-disk measure.

Treeman

I am shooting 1.4 gr MP 200. 90 gr bullet The 25ACP or 6.35 is a tiny little thing to load.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

ARK

The 6.35 ammo always intrigued me, I love those little guns but the rounds are just as pricey as 9mm rounds and the inlybway I will buy one is if I reload it myself

Treeman

you can honestly get a B/Browning - dies and some ammo for 2 K on a regular basis.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

The RCBS Uniflow is a great tool.

Mine is 40 years old and runs very good.

I didn't know about the different drums until this morning, which means I have been reloading handgun charges (mostly MP200 and MS200) for the last 31 years with a rifle drum.

Even so, it throws consistently enough that I only check the charges every 50 rounds. General variation is less than 0.2gr in total; mostly the charges vary less than 0.05gr.

For practice, plinking and sport shooting (38Spl, 357, 9mmP and 223) I throw directly from the Uniflow into the case.

I do not know how it compares to other brands because it is all I have.

janfred

Quote from: Ds J on Jun 04, 2022, 10:51 AMThe RCBS Uniflow is a great tool.

Mine is 40 years old and runs very good.

I didn't know about the different drums until this morning, which means I have been reloading handgun charges (mostly MP200 and MS200) for the last 31 years with a rifle drum.

Even so, it throws consistently enough that I only check the charges every 50 rounds. General variation is less than 0.2gr in total; mostly the charges vary less than 0.05gr.

For practice, plinking and sport shooting (38Spl, 357, 9mmP and 223) I throw directly from the Uniflow into the case.

I do not know how it compares to other brands because it is all I have.
That is pretty much my experience using the Lee Perfect Powder measure and the Lyman one that is decades old.

As much as I dislike the Lee measure, it is not because it throws badly, it just feels flimsy

oafpatroll

I have a Lee Perfect and an ancient Lyman cast iron drum measure. If anything I think the lee may be just a tad more consistent but the Lyman feels like I could use it in self defence in necessary. To get the Lee to stay put on the bench I mounted it to a piece of 10mm plate as it used to feel like it would float off.

Some Lee stuff feels flimsy but i have never had a failure. Even my Load-All which looks and feels like it wants to come apart if you stare at it hard just refuses to. 

ARK

So I loaded my first 30 rounds yesterday using the Lee auto drum and I must say it was a breeze to use, can comment in consistency as I only pressed 30 to set my dies

Treeman

Well done Ark, your journey has begun.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

Quote from: ARK on Jun 05, 2022, 04:36 PMSo I loaded my first 30 rounds yesterday using the Lee auto drum and I must say it was a breeze to use, can comment in consistency as I only pressed 30 to set my dies

Welcome! This is a very deep rabbit hole with lots of side tunnels.

ARK

Lol I figured, run into some issues already but it's so exciting trying to figure it out and get better. A really great hobby

ARK

Quote from: Treeman on Jun 05, 2022, 09:35 PMWell done Ark, your journey has begun.

thank you can't wait to see where it leads to

oafpatroll

Quote from: ARK on Jun 06, 2022, 08:36 PMLol I figured, run into some issues already but it's so exciting trying to figure it out and get better. A really great hobby

Absolutely, I enjoy casting and reloading for my guns almost as much as I enjoy shooting them. Have endless hours of pottering about time in the workshop figuring stuff out while listening to audio books. Apart from the savings that you can achieve it's rewarding to develop loads that perform at least as well as, and sometimes better than, factory stuff.