LOW COST EASY RANGE DRILLS AND GAMES FOR EVERYONE

Started by NoStepOnSnek88, Dec 17, 2023, 01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoStepOnSnek88

Greetings everyone  :)

Have you worked out your own COF, drill, game etc at the range or maybe have thought of some challenge etc.

Please post your or any low cost and easy to set up drills, games, challenges that is safe and beginner friendly.

Here's mine that can very easily be adjusted for beginners by just increasing the allotted time for example.

*OVERVIEW* :

A drill / game that doesn't require a lot of rounds, gear, or equipment that is realistic and safe to do for beginners as well.

This is a fun game that would work best for a group of shooters. It can also be done by yourself for practice/ training.
It will work best for handguns, but it can be done with SLR's / PCC's, etc.

It is basically a last man stands challenge, but it could be expanded on with handicaps thrown into the mix to make it more challenging.

*EQUIPMENT* :
1 X shot timer.
Patches/ Masking tape.
1 X stand, 2 X pieces of wooden brandering, or a way to hang/ place an IDPA/ SADPA, IPSC, humanoid target with an A zone.
A steel gong of 200 mm can also work.

*GEAR* :
Eye & Ear Pro.
Handgun with 1 X magazine, holster, belt.
SLR/ PCC with 1 X magazine.

*RULES* :
Stage 1, starting at 4 meters.
Stage 2, move to 7 meters.
Stage 3, move to 10 meters.
Stage 4, move to 15 meters.
Stage 5, move to 20 meters.
Move in increments of 5 meters until there is a last man standing.
As for SLR / PCC can start at 15 meters and go from there, etc.

*COF* :
Standing at the 4 meter mark, firearm loaded, magazine inserted and holstered. (SLR/ PCC in low ready).
On the signal, draw and fire three (3) shots into the A zone within the allotted time of 3.50 seconds.

*RULES* :
Three (3) shots in the A zone, in the allotted time of 3.50 seconds.
If you pass, you move onto the next stage, 7 meters and so forth.

The allotted time does not change. All 3 shots within the allotted time of 3.50 seconds, 3.50 is fine, but 3.51 is a fail.
You are allowed to rectify a incorrect shot, but your allotted time still remains 3.50 seconds, meaning if you visibly see or think you've missed a shot you can rectify it with additional shot/s, however the allotted time remains the same.

*EXAMPLE* :
For instance you are at 15 meters, you fire your 1st shot into the A zone, 2nd shot is a C as well as your 3rd, you rectify both shots, by firing two additional shots into the A zone to pass, in total you have fired 5 shots but it was still within the allotted time of 3.50 seconds.

*ADDITIONAL ADD ON'S:*
Take a few pieces of paper etc. and write a few handicaps on them, throw them in a hat/container, and let the shooters draw their handicap before starting.

*EXAMPLES* :
Condition 3, chamber empty, loaded magazine inserted.
Strong hand only.
Weak hand only.
Facing up range.
Both hands in surrender position.
Low ready for handgun.
a true Hoplophile, this is the way.
How To Fight Gun Control South Africa 🇿🇦
Telegram Main Group Link: https://t.me/+qzLqIPl_FEg1ZDA0

Treeman

I am ashamed to say, I have just become to lazy. I will do it later.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

In trying to exorcise a handgun flinching demon that possessed me out of nowhere about two and half years ago I have taken to relentless dry fire training and much, much less actual shooting. It has recently started to bear fruit and I'm shooting my pistols much better. It's been a properly humbling experience as I went from being an ok club level shooter to consistently finishing matches in the bottom 20 percent.

For dry firing I use sticky notes of different sizes stuck to the wall with a lazer cartridge to verify sighting and trigger control. I use a phone app for par timing and have a few dozen drills setup. The majority are really granular and are aimed at training a particular element of the skill set such as the draw to first shot, reloads, stoppage clearance, target transitions etc.. I then have 4 that combine various elements of the others into a repeatable stage'. They don't depend on the placement of the sticky note targets but every routine has the same number of targets and hits required.

Once I can consistently clear the par time for a drill or combined routine I reduce the par by an increment. As is the way of training those increments are getting smaller but started out huge in the first couple of months.

When I live fire train on the range I replicate the drills using my CED7000 timer and get to compare those times to the par times from dry fire. 

rj4

Quote from: NoStepOnSnek88 on Dec 17, 2023, 01:08 AMGreetings everyone  :)

Have you worked out your own COF, drill, game etc at the range or maybe have thought of some challenge etc.

Please post your or any low cost and easy to set up drills, games, challenges that is safe and beginner friendly.

Here's mine that can very easily be adjusted for beginners by just increasing the allotted time for example.

*OVERVIEW* :

A drill / game that doesn't require a lot of rounds, gear, or equipment that is realistic and safe to do for beginners as well.

This is a fun game that would work best for a group of shooters. It can also be done by yourself for practice/ training.
It will work best for handguns, but it can be done with SLR's / PCC's, etc.

It is basically a last man stands challenge, but it could be expanded on with handicaps thrown into the mix to make it more challenging.

*EQUIPMENT* :
1 X shot timer.
Patches/ Masking tape.
1 X stand, 2 X pieces of wooden brandering, or a way to hang/ place an IDPA/ SADPA, IPSC, humanoid target with an A zone.
A steel gong of 200 mm can also work.

*GEAR* :
Eye & Ear Pro.
Handgun with 1 X magazine, holster, belt.
SLR/ PCC with 1 X magazine.

*RULES* :
Stage 1, starting at 4 meters.
Stage 2, move to 7 meters.
Stage 3, move to 10 meters.
Stage 4, move to 15 meters.
Stage 5, move to 20 meters.
Move in increments of 5 meters until there is a last man standing.
As for SLR / PCC can start at 15 meters and go from there, etc.

*COF* :
Standing at the 4 meter mark, firearm loaded, magazine inserted and holstered. (SLR/ PCC in low ready).
On the signal, draw and fire three (3) shots into the A zone within the allotted time of 3.50 seconds.

*RULES* :
Three (3) shots in the A zone, in the allotted time of 3.50 seconds.
If you pass, you move onto the next stage, 7 meters and so forth.

The allotted time does not change. All 3 shots within the allotted time of 3.50 seconds, 3.50 is fine, but 3.51 is a fail.
You are allowed to rectify a incorrect shot, but your allotted time still remains 3.50 seconds, meaning if you visibly see or think you've missed a shot you can rectify it with additional shot/s, however the allotted time remains the same.

*EXAMPLE* :
For instance you are at 15 meters, you fire your 1st shot into the A zone, 2nd shot is a C as well as your 3rd, you rectify both shots, by firing two additional shots into the A zone to pass, in total you have fired 5 shots but it was still within the allotted time of 3.50 seconds.

*ADDITIONAL ADD ON'S:*
Take a few pieces of paper etc. and write a few handicaps on them, throw them in a hat/container, and let the shooters draw their handicap before starting.

*EXAMPLES* :
Strong hand only.
Weak hand only.
Facing up range.
Low ready for handgun.

What would examples of handicaps be? Sorry I'm not the most fluent in gun competition terminology.

I always relate handicaps back to golf where the worse you are, the more shots you get. But I suppose I would view time as the handicap on your suggested drill ie the better you are the less time you have to complete with amount of shots taken being the tie breaker.

NoStepOnSnek88

What would examples of handicaps be? Sorry I'm not the most fluent in gun competition terminology.

I always relate handicaps back to golf where the worse you are, the more shots you get. But I suppose I would view time as the handicap on your suggested drill ie the better you are the less time you have to complete with amount of shots taken being the tie breaker.{ [/quote]

@rj4 , In this instance, it is just the general meaning of a "handicap"  as shown below a few examples, this is just an add-on to the specific "game".

As I've mentioned it is extremely easy to accommodate new or experienced shooters by just adjusting the allotted time, let's say adjusting the allotted time from 3.50 seconds to 4.00 seconds will already make it easier, and so forth.

PS: FA competitions as you think of them have numerous different disciplines, and handicaps in that sense I'm not too familiar with as each discipline would have its own explanation.

*EXAMPLES* : (Handicaps)
Strong hand only.
Weak hand only.
Facing up range.
Low ready for handgun.

DaavG

NoStepOnSnek88

THE 3M TEST (Marksmanship, Movement, Manipulations).

SETUP:

Distance: 5 Yards (4.5 Meters)

Target:  RM-Q (scored 5/3), or a VSRT (scored 5/4/3), or an IDPA target (scored 5/3/0) for the Comstock Count version. If pass/fail scoring, only the highest value hit zone counts.

SCORING:

Pass/Fail Scoring:

The shooter fails if he/she:

** Does not move on the draw, the malfunction, and the reload
** Does not tap the magazine before running the slide on the malfunction
** Places a single hit outside the highest scoring zone on the target.

Time limit is 15 seconds for a Combative Pistol student and 12 seconds for instructors.

Comstock Count Scoring:

Total Points Possible = 45 points
Points Divided by Time = Index
Index Multiplied by 30 = Score

Example:

42 points, fired in 12.15 seconds
โ€”โ€”โ€”
42 รท 12.15 = 3.46 (Index)
3.46 x 30 = 103.8 (Score)
Par Score = 100

Any score over 100 (par) is very good work. Anything over 125 is extremely high skill.

DESCRIPTION:

For many years, Larry Nichols was the Rangemaster of the Burbank, California, police department. He devised the original, simpler version of this drill. He showed it to John Farnam probably 30 years ago, and John modified it to fit his curriculum. John showed his version to me 20 years ago, and I made changes to fit my curriculum. This is the version we currently use.

One silhouette target, at 5 yards. For our purposes, we will use an RM-Q (scored 5/3), or a VSRT (scored 5/4/3), or an IDPA target (scored 5/3/0) for the Comstock Count version. If pass/fail scoring, only the highest value hit zone counts.

Shooter starts with handgun loaded with six live rounds (one in chamber, five in magazine) and one dummy round in the magazine. Dummy is not the top round nor the bottom round in the magazine.

Someone else should load the magazine so the shooter does not know where in the magazine the dummy round lies.

Shooter starts holstered, hands in interview stance. On signal, side step, draw, and fire until a malfunction occurs. On the malfunction, side step, fix it, and continue to fire. When the gun runs empty, side step, perform an emergency reload, and fire 3 additional shots.

The shooter must move on the draw, move on the malfunction, and move on the reload. There is a ten-point penalty for any shot that misses the target on Comstock scoring. For pass/fail scoring, any round outside the highest value zone is a failure.

This drill tests movement off the line of force, rapid presentation from concealment, accurate placement of multiple fast shots, a malfunction remedy, and an empty gun reload, all under time pressure. It only requires nine rounds, one target, and a timer or stopwatch to test/measure all of these skills.

This drill is not intended to be shot over and over, trying to get an impressive score. I use this drill as a skill check, shot totally cold, at the beginning of a practice session. If you can pass this, or score above 125 on Comstock, on demand, you are probably an adequate defensive shooter.

LINK:

https://preparedgunowners.com/2015/11/03/how-to-test-your-defensive-handgun-skills-with-just-nine-bullets-the-3m-test/?fbclid=IwAR1cDazum4PLrPLhDA9F-ygVsTsuwFHGZZxcloFw54fMDI6LGuCOijOp-DQ