They say the .50 BMG is not a good ELR gun ...

Started by big5ifty, Feb 01, 2024, 01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big5ifty

.. and then there's this

1000 yard BMG record

So. Does that mean the right combination of components is not general knowledge yet ?

That was a heavy gun record, meaning the gun was 50 lb max weight.

The weight of the rifle is not the major factor in the accuracy, so it's not inconceivable that a 40 lb gun , such as limited to in Ko2m, can be as accurate as any Barret or Cheytac.

Newton

Quote from: big5ifty on Feb 01, 2024, 01:07 PM.. and then there's this

1000 yard BMG record

That was a heavy gun record, meaning the gun was 50 lb max weight.

Heavy price too
Wonder how much this would cost in SA ?
Probably need to be a millionaire to run this package !

big5ifty

Quote from: Newton on Feb 01, 2024, 02:42 PMProbably need to be a millionaire to run this package !

If you look at the cost in relation to the purpose, you may be surprised.

Is the BMG expensive to shoot ? Yes. Is any shooting cheap ? I don't think so. 

The cost of running a BMG is an equally inaccurate popular opinion, like when people say it's cheap to reload. It's not. The cost of a loaded round is cheaper than the cost of a factory round, that's all. Reloading is not cheap.

If you use the BMG alone to maintain DSS in South Africa, you need three? shoots per year, 30 rounds per shoot, let's say 100 rounds. That's three tins of powder, 100 primers and 100 bullets. You'll use Peregrine, there's no competition bullet that is better at a cheaper price.

I think a dedicated PRS competitor exceeds that cost annually on reloading components.

Newton

Quote from: big5ifty on Feb 01, 2024, 04:59 PM
Quote from: Newton on Feb 01, 2024, 02:42 PMProbably need to be a millionaire to run this package !
If you look at the cost in relation to the purpose, you may be surprised.
Is the BMG expensive to shoot ? Yes. Is any shooting cheap ? I don't think so. 
The cost of running a BMG is an equally inaccurate popular opinion, like when people say it's cheap to reload. It's not. The cost of a loaded round is cheaper than the cost of a factory round, that's all. Reloading is not cheap.

If you use the BMG alone to maintain DSS in South Africa, you need three? shoots per year, 30 rounds per shoot, let's say 100 rounds. That's three tins of powder, 100 primers and 100 bullets. You'll use Peregrine, there's no competition bullet that is better at a cheaper price.
I think a dedicated PRS competitor exceeds that cost annually on reloading components.
Anything beyond .22LR is - in THIS country unaffordable for most - reloading or not
How long will your legal propellant limit last with this monster ?
How many shots do you need to practise and maintain skill level ?
How many shots does Lee Rasmussen shoot in a season ?
Where do you find a range where you can shoot this behemoth whenever you want to ?

You need to be a millionaire to do this package justice ..
Unless .... you have some type of sponsorship !

Treeman

I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Newton

Newton

Thanks
Very particular / specific firearm
Not everyone's - cup of tea ( unless you like to boast - that yours is bigger .... )
Not mine - I like classic - with a properly designed wooden stock ( laminated )
For that money I would rather buy more land

Againstthegrains

Quote from: Newton on Feb 01, 2024, 06:02 PMHow long will your legal propellant limit last with this monster ?

You have given me an idea for stock piling powder. ;)  Buy a 50 cal, fill as many doppies as you are allowed with the powder of your choice and store it in those. I'm sure it will be more than 500g ;D

Newton

Quote from: Againstthegrains on Feb 13, 2024, 08:16 AM
Quote from: Newton on Feb 01, 2024, 06:02 PMHow long will your legal propellant limit last with this monster ?

You have given me an idea for stock piling powder. ;)  Buy a 50 cal, fill as many doppies as you are allowed with the powder of your choice and store it in those. I'm sure it will be more than 500g ;D
Someone whispered to me that there is a limit to the number of loaded rounds you are allowed ?
Perhaps this does not apply to .... "dedicated-status" ?

Why not just start your own gun-shop - then you can have as much powder as you need

Perhaps simpler just ask all your buddies - that do not reload to store THEIR limit for you
To use as needed
Many little helpers make the impossible possible

janfred

The legal limit is 200 rounds of ammunition. If you have a section 16 licence the limit is increased to how much you can motivate.

5000 rounds of .22LR seem reasonable for someone that shoots 200 rounds per session during practice.

5000 rounds of .50bmg for someone that shoots 100 rounds a year might be difficult to motivate.

oafpatroll

Quote from: janfred on Feb 13, 2024, 12:31 PMThe legal limit is 200 rounds of ammunition. If you have a section 16 licence the limit is increased to how much you can motivate.

5000 rounds of .22LR seem reasonable for someone that shoots 200 rounds per session during practice.

5000 rounds of .50bmg for someone that shoots 100 rounds a year might be difficult to motivate.

Unless I've badly misread the act there is no need to motivate for the amount of ammo you may possess if you have dedicated status. As I understand it the 200 round limit is waived on obtaining dedicated status. The propellant limitation is not as it isn't derived from the FCA but rather from the Explosives Act.

janfred

Restrictions on possession of ammunition

(1) The holder of a licence to possess a firearm referred to in Chapter 6 may not possess more than 200
cartridges for each firearm in respect of which he or she holds a licence.

(2) The limitation in subsection (1) does not apply to -

(a) a dedicated hunter, dedicated sports person or a professional hunter who holds a licence issued
in terms of this Act or any other holder of a licence issued in terms of this Act authorised by the
Registrar to possess more than 200 cartridges for a firearm in respect of which he or she holds
a licence on good cause shown; or

(b) the holder of a licence to possess a firearm issued in terms of this Act in respect of ammunition
bought and discharged at an accredited shooting range.

oafpatroll

Quote from: janfred on Feb 13, 2024, 10:03 PMRestrictions on possession of ammunition

(1) The holder of a licence to possess a firearm referred to in Chapter 6 may not possess more than 200

(a) a dedicated hunter, dedicated sports person or a professional hunter who holds a licence issued
in terms of this Act or any other holder of a licence issued in terms of this Act authorised by the
Registrar to possess more than 200 cartridges for a firearm in respect of which he or she holds

(b) the holder of a licence to possess a firearm issued in terms of this Act in respect of ammunition

As I understand it the 'good cause shown' requirement is satisfied by obtaining dedicated status and is in turn further reinforced by obtaining licenses for guns used in the conduct of the dedicated activity.

I'm not aware of a case where any further motivation was required. Two people I know who have had onsite inspections have hundreds of thousands of round between them and have nothing more than lots of money and dedicated status. I have arranged group buys where I've bought 25 cases of shotgun ammunition without issue and immediately after Putin invaded Ukraine I spent close to 20k on primers without anyone batting an eyelid. What am I missing?

Treeman

Quote from: janfred on Feb 13, 2024, 10:03 PMRestrictions on possession of ammunition

And thats it
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.