Any SA Bisley members on the forum ?

Started by big5ifty, Mar 28, 2023, 02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big5ifty

I'd like to know who / where the SA Bisley clubs are, and what shooting ranges they use.

janfred

In Cape Town we use the military range at Atlantis.

In Bloem they use De Brug military range.

Treeman

I do not think there is one in PE, Kudu's Kloof out Uitenhage way is still in use - SA Jagters range ?
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

Old Jan Haasbroek shooting range Vereeniging., now CMH Sport Shooters Retreat

big5ifty

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Mar 28, 2023, 09:29 PMOld Jan Haasbroek shooting range Vereeniging., now CMH Sport Shooters Retreat

That's relatively close for me, thanks.

Newton

Talking about Bisley SABU

The F-Class World Championships were held in SA recently at De Brug in Bloemfontein

Eric Cortina did a whole YouTube series on the event

Sadly not much public information has been provided by the SA team ?

Does anyone have any insight there ?
What rifles they use ?
Using what components
Built by which South African gunsmith / s ?
So on and so forth ...so many questions

I went to the website and filled in the online form - but - never got any reply ?

janfred

With the world championships over there is no longer any urgency. I'd be surprised to see any if them on the range for the next month or two.

With the inclusion of F-sporting now, why not join a club with your hunting rifle. Then you can see first hand what it is all about. You will learn a lot about reading conditions.

oafpatroll

There have been a number of international comps in SA recently. Great to see. Compak World Championship was at Valley Gun last Aug and 14th ICTSF World DTL Championship was held there at the end of March this year. Mate of mine who shot for SA in the 90's in the US a couple of times said it was quite literally world class.

Tripodmvr

Is there not some ELR world shoot in SA for 2024?

janfred

The Target Rifle World Championships and Palma competition is next year in Bloemfontein.

oafpatroll

Fantastic to see that we still feature in the world of shooting in some way.

big5ifty

I contacted Johan Wille, and he added me to the CMH-SSR group, which uses the CMH range, about 45 minutes south of JHB. They announce their range days there.

You don't need to be a member to shoot with them on the day, just pay the range fee. For informal shoots they will permit a suppressor, but no brake.

He is on whatsapp. zero 8 two 8 zero 8 double three 63.

"There are two Gauteng based clubs, viz, Witwatersrand and Rand Rifles.

Rand Rifles is primarily a TR club but has of this year established an FTR team.

Witwatersrand (Wits) is primarily F-Class.

There are very few F-Sporting members and it is seen as a stepping stone to FTR or F-Open.

I am presently the chairman of Gauteng and Wits and a member of Rand. Province and clubs use the CMH range as our home range.
I shoot FTR.

Some shooters are shooting at the CMH range this Saturday, distances 300, 700, 800 an 900m.

A lot of shooters, myself included, are taking a break following the World Championships which ended two weeks ago.

I will send you an invite to join the CMH WhatsApp group. By being part of this group you will be informed when shoots are being held.

Should you wish to participate in an "official" competition held under the auspices of the South African Bisley Union, you will be required to officially join a SABU club and SABU itself.
Casual shooting as arranged from time to time at the CMH range does not require membership fees but you are required to pay the range fee.

Regards
Johan"

big5ifty

There is also a Natshoot ELR initiative

Natshoot ELR

I'm still trying to figure out how that works.

Newton

Quote from: janfred on Apr 22, 2023, 05:33 AMWith the world championships over there is no longer any urgency. I'd be surprised to see any if them on the range for the next month or two.

With the inclusion of F-sporting now, why not join a club with your hunting rifle. Then you can see first hand what it is all about. You will learn a lot about reading conditions.
Thanks for reply
Yes I understand I could do that
However I am interested in the South African National team that competed in the recent World Championships
As far as the non-members ( the public ) are concerned they are a faceless unknown quantity
I refer again to the Eric Cortina US YouTube channel where all the members are shown - what rifles they use and a whole lot more information
As far as Eric Cortina is concerned ( World Champion ) he has a whole section on the rifle he used , what caliber , what ammunition , how he reloads and much more - publicly available.
Please can you show ANYTHING similar for the SA team - or - any member of that team ?

Tripodmvr