Browning screwdrivers

Started by Ds J, Dec 05, 2023, 12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ds J

By now you all know that I obtained a copy of a FN Browning Auto-5. The shotgun is basically new and appears unused, or close to it.

Assuming that the gun has not worked much and stood in the safe for most if the time, I would really like to clean it thoroughly before shooting it. The action does feel stiff.

Where do I find Browning screwdrivers, or bits in SA? The slots on the screws are incredibly narrow!

Should I grind down existing bits?

oafpatroll

I've ground my own parallel sided bits in the past and that's the cheapest way and you can get an exact fit in both dimensions.

Most important thing about a bit for slotted gun screws is that it must not taper to the tip as then it doesn't engage all the way to the bottom of the slot. Ideally it should also be as near the full width of the slot as possible. Those two things reduce the chance of it slipping out and marring the gun or boogering the screw.

Wheeler Engineering makes really nice sets of gunsmithing bit sets and I'd love to buy one but not at new prices. I did come across a Tork Craft gunsmithing bit set which was quite a lot cheaper so that may be something to look at.

I haven't heard of a Browning specific screwdriver. Are their screws unique in some way?

oafpatroll

Treeman

If I can get over the shame of buying Tork Craft, I would love to test drive that kit - but the name scares me, scares me quite far away.
I found one in a cash converter type shop once but got no further than brand before walking on.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

I've had success with a few of their tools that I've bought over the years. Have a set of letter and number punches and a few other odds and sodds and never had failure.

Ds J

Thanks Folks, the suggestions help much!

The Browning screws are slotted thin, maybe 0.6mm or 0.8mm.

I have to agree about Tork Craft tools - not top of the line, but definitely very usable for everyday diy duty.