Treeman scores a 303

Started by Tripodmvr, Oct 21, 2022, 08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripodmvr

Dave, we need a story and photos.

Treeman

Coming soon to a site near you. Just got back from the range now, brilliant results. P14 - 303 My first test load was under half inch at  50 m. I am so proud of ME" - open sights. I was really worried because when I cleaned the thing I was still getting blue, green and black test patch's, 5 hours later I started getting clean cloth, 5 hours of cleaning.

First test load was 174 gr PMP I had lying around over 37 gr S335 and a COL of 77.6mm - straight out the Somchem book.
2340 fps (I think).
Very chauffed.
I was given another rifle the day after the P14 rifle which is a Mod 4 - Mark 1 .303, I have not yet started accurising that one. It shoots as is a 1.5 inch high group but about 6 inchs wide. I think the wood is causing issues.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

Dave, give me the rifle details of the P14 and lets see what you can get out of it.

Measured barrel length, COL as shot and case volume. We have speed and propellant charge.

Treeman

barrel 26 inch
Cases not measured yet.
S335 at 37 gr
COL 77.6
2339 fps

BT 1.554

OBT = 1.551 need a charge of 36.8 gr spot on.

Next two nodes are 2439 and then 2538 fps

I believe I can do 2700 on about 60 000 psi this being a K 98 type action.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

First test load.
20221023_163213 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
Straight from the Somchem book  ;D --------------- also happens tp work out well on QL
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

20221023_094331 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
Was still tightly packed with Cosmoline in the mag well.
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

Bullet used - SP or FMJBT 174?

oafpatroll

Damn, that is a nice rifle.

Treeman

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Oct 24, 2022, 12:14 PMBullet used - SP or FMJBT 174?
PMP Brown Box 174 SP

I wanted a P14 to modernize it, stock and scope etc - I think the .303 is a incredible bullet. When this guy gave me this one, I was a bit disappointed because it is something that must be looked after as heritage piece.
So now I am searching for a ruined P14, I want to push it to the 2900 fps + mark, very interested in this calibers potential.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

The Jungle Carbine conversion has a solid butt plate  ??? Both myself and James are a bit less brave in the shoulder area today, also a bit blue-ish
Therefore I am me.

janfred

2339 is very slow for 174gr bullets.

Best accuracy is normally around 2450. No idea what the OBT for that is, but worked on 90% of the 303 rifles in the club. The rest usually had loose sights...

With my No 1 the nodes were 2270, 2360 and 2450.

Tripodmvr

To get some accurate calcs going I would need the measured barrel length from a cocked bolt to the tip of the muzzle as well as case volume of those fired cases.

Two nodes above are 2450fps on the chrony and try 39,1gr. The other is 41,2gr and 2560fps on the chrony. The pressures are still below the Lee actions max of 52K psi.

janfred

I once tried 41gr S335.

Witnesses said I leopard-crawled back to shooting position after each shot. That hard brass buttpad is not for sissies...

Treeman

Quote from: janfred on Oct 26, 2022, 09:28 AMI once tried 41gr S335.

Witnesses said I leopard-crawled back to shooting position after each shot. That hard brass buttpad is not for sissies...
I was totally but off .303 rifles because of it, I was given one and a letter to use it in the early 90 ties. I actually at that time did not even consider things like butt plates and recoil pads, I only knew it hurt me. The answer was " 303's are shit, the kick like hell - kak rifle" Rather simplified but good enough for a 20 year old.

It was only after years on Gunsite SA that I revisited the .303
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Oct 25, 2022, 09:11 PMTo get some accurate calcs going I would need the measured barrel length from a cocked bolt to the tip of the muzzle as well as case volume of those fired cases.

Two nodes above are 2450fps on the chrony and try 39,1gr. The other is 41,2gr and 2560fps on the chrony. The pressures are still below the Lee actions max of 52K psi.
I will measure the cases up tonight and let you know. Is there any reason to keep this action at Lee levels? I was thinking midway between modern action and Lee action would be save and conservative - they build all but anything on these actions !
Was think the 2700 fps area node
Therefore I am me.