Impala and that's why there are so many.

Started by Treeman, Jul 11, 2022, 07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeman

Took a lovely couple hunting Impala this week end, Tammy and Aidan. Impala, they cautious animals and so easy to hunt when you not hunting.
There are a lot of Impala on the farm, but somehow they just seem to be not where you are and when you see them, they 999 m away and already looking at you.

Cody took Tammy and I went along with Aidan to look for our Impala and it did not go all that well, I took Aidon to place where it was a case of they either there or not there, usually one of the spots provided a animal and then it was rather easy to get that animal. Cody took Tammy to a area where there were many Impala all over,but generally they were a bit more difficult to shoot at - but there would be a lot more chances.
Aidan and I saw some Impala far far away and that was it, all the best spots delivered a few dassie and that's all.

Cody and Tammy had many chances, but Tammy who is on her first hunts for many scenarios' still was not yet up to see, setup, shoot all in 4 - 6 seconds.

After lunch Aidon and his dear love asked to hunt together, so Cody and I went one way and they another.
Cody and I visited the same spots that Aidan and I had earlier without seeing any Impala. Just as we were about to leave Cody did that miracle Cody thing, "wait,wait dad there, there dad, there's one" he had found a ram right in front of us at 300 m abouts. really well hidden lying down.
Was easy from there on - we stalked to 140 m and then set up. As would be the Impala did that impala thing and just knew something was not right, he stood up and started taking notes.
Cody put a bullet behind the shoulder and it did about nothing, spun around and looked wobbly but not dead, Cody said "again" and shot it again and it fell over. Note how close the holes are, both sides within a inch of each other. He is shooting so well now that even when the animal turned 180 deg, the entrance is in same place as the exit from other side shot.
20220709_152526 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

We then went back to the camp and had a beer. Was rather hot for a winters day.
20220709_124308 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

Later on Cody put his rifle all show off ish on its bi-pods on the roof. He learnt a expensive lesson he did.
20220710_101841 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

But the night fire was a good one.
20220708_193428 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

tomorrow we try again, after work we head out to be in the veld. Taking a 13 year old for his first animal, hopefully we will get more than one animal for the 4 hunters.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.