Impala Time Again.

Started by Treeman, May 28, 2023, 07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeman

Took 3 guests out for an Impala hunt, got 4 Impala but lost one.
A old timer, a second timer and a first timer had me fully occupied.The litie I taught from first shot to first animal was back again and going to try for his second animal, his Dad went for his first animal but did not succeed. The old hunting mate of mine shot an Impala which showed itself while we were locking the farm gate behind us. We were on the farm locking the gate when some rams were spotted some ways away in the bush, we were fitting silencers and breaking out binno's and ammo etc when that " there there, see them" was breathed out excitedly, followed by a hasty departure in last seen direction by one bokkoors guy.
I watched this lot unfold and had my "mmnn ya nee" thoughts as I looked at the shooting sticks forgotten on the cars bonnet - ya ok then?

A few minutes later a shot rang out and the hit sounded and I called "far back" that hit. The dog was brought in and a few hours later we had a lost animal and a dog that was gone as well - I love that little dog, I really do.
A long time later, looooooong time later, a called her name hoarsely again and did the signal sound as well, dog was gone. I was walking back to bakkie when I heard a animal approaching and saw the Impala bolt past me with a clear low shot behind the shoulders, bleeding profusely. Much to my delight I saw my little dog at its heels gamely chasing the beast.
We lost it and it was getting dark, I desperately tried the hooter signal a few times, but with little hope, the dog was not yet hooter trained. Just as we were leaving, there she was, grinning ear to ear, back with us. I have never seen such a "that was fun"  look on a dogs face.

The following day I took the hunter back to the last seen spot, found blood and put the dog on it. Cody in the mean time took the 14 year old on his second ever hunt, a very proud boy, was promised a R250 PH fee if the son succeeded in his hunt, he did.
The dog tracked from blood to a spot 3 times over again before stopping each time and asking me "what now?" she just got to same spot each time and stopped, cocked her head in her way and stared at me - "its gone?"

Here are some photos of the successful part of the hunt.
IMG-20230528-WA0034 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
20230527_162009 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
IMG-20230528-WA0008 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

The camp site was roff, but yerra boet it was lekker.
20230527_181612 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
Cody was tasked with stirring the pot, my first ever on a hunt I think, never made pots - braai braai braai.
20230527_184445 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
This is Daneel, my buddy and great guy. This is Cody's latest clever comment victim. Daaad Daad, Uncle Daneel had a fight with a tree and lost dad, a dead tree Dad. Daneel broke a tree off for firewood, it would not break, so he tried harder. Tried this way that way and harder. Then he gave it a yank towards himself and it broke - straight into his head, big hole, really a big hole.
20230527_184354 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
Dearest Daneel got very little honest medical assessment, that could have cut the hunt short, but we do care about him - he was given a beer and told to sit still for a while.
 20230527_181915 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
Click on ear photo to watch video.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Daneel was successfully handed over to his wife and I have put my phone off  :o
Aint taking no chances. 
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

Those young impala will have super meat. Looks like a great adventure.

Treeman

Quote from: Tripodmvr on May 28, 2023, 07:48 PMThose young impala will have super meat. Looks like a great adventure.
Yes they are nice food animals, the farm has a super excess of those animals, so much so that I did not see an ewe in 2 days, just young rams.
I am all Impala'd out, Impala and Bush Pig, 4 years now just the two meats, this year is Kudu and bushbuck time.
Therefore I am me.