5 th year no Kudu on this farm

Started by Treeman, Aug 07, 2023, 07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeman

Hell, I can not believe my luck, 5 years of seeing others get a kudu, but not even seeing a bull myself. Cody got a surprise Impala that appeared on the farm.
20230805_112539 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

The result - THAT MORNING
20230805_083205 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

THAT EVENING
20230806_185111 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

This child is not squeamish, the Impala is being skinned and  dressed and he is cooking the fillets before job is finished - dress animal, stop for a bite to eat, might as well cook the meat I am dressing.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Has impala always occurred in that area? Somehow the idea seems odd?

Treeman

Quote from: Ds J on Aug 07, 2023, 10:23 PMHas impala always occurred in that area? Somehow the idea seems odd?
Historically not, but introduced to game farms 40 years ago already, Blessbuck as well. This farm has a history of game trekking onto it from game farms in the area. There is one Blessbuck that came and has stayed for years, just one. Last year a Impala ram arrived and was left alone, now there are about 30 Impala that have arrived on farm - I think they may be Zimbabwean ;D  ;D 
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

I presume there are kudu present, but you did not find one?

Treeman

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Aug 08, 2023, 10:48 AMI presume there are kudu present, but you did not find one?
Your honesty is not enjoyed.
I be good hunter.
Was the weather, moon cycle, planet alignment or some thing.

Therefore I am me.

Ds J

During full moon the kudu in our area tend to feed by night, and by day they loaf around. It makes them hard to get by day because they move less.

And not getting anything is fairly normal for me. I have gone out six and seven times, and came back empty handed. That said, I think you spend more time  in a single session than I do. I usually don't spend more than three hours on a farm.

Treeman

Last 3 years I have gotten every customer, kid - client their animals, every time and then just do not even get a look when I call my turn.
I am taking a kid hunting this week end, Cody will be his guide and rifle man, and I will be looking for my own Kudu - we will see.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

An older acquaintance used to say that one does not hunt a kudu, when the time is right they come to you ;)