Crazy pig hunt

Started by Treeman, Aug 14, 2023, 09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeman

I am not so proud of this attempt at hunting as it was not a instant or almost instant death of target. I also in retrospect think I should have known better.
We were sitting in the bush waiting for kudu when a pig appear from nowhere and then walked up to us and went down a hole 20 m from us. After a while one of the guys asked "I wonder if you can get it in its hole?" Followed by "why don't we try?"

After a "no" and another "no" I started thinking "maybe".

It only took one "awe come on dad, lets try it" a few minutes later.
in hole shorter by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

I have learnt that a 9 mm is almost useless on game animals, the first shot was between shoulders into neck and the second   just missed spine and traveled towards between front legs. The 3rd missed. As you see the pig ran as if not hit after two hits. The dog tracked the pig almost a km to get the animal. not yet dead.
The bullet used was a Hornady 147 gr XTP.
20230813_174607 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
20230813_174624 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

Testosterone is powerful and dangerous but 9mm pellets ain't ;)

Treeman

Quote from: oafpatroll on Aug 15, 2023, 11:00 AMTestosterone is powerful and dangerous but 9mm pellets ain't ;)
something like that.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

I once had the misfortune to need to shoot a dog and it absorbed more of my whizz bang zombie stopping 9mmP pellets of the time before it expired than made me comfortable. Standard service pistol calibres really don't inspire confidence.

Treeman

Quote from: oafpatroll on Aug 15, 2023, 12:27 PMI once had the misfortune to need to shoot a dog and it absorbed more of my whizz bang zombie stopping 9mmP pellets of the time before it expired than made me comfortable. Standard service pistol calibres really don't inspire confidence.
I knew this before I did it, thats why I am angry for doing it. I have done this exercise before with same results - so why was I stupid enough  to believe it would be different this time ?
Was closer, MUCH closer, the boys so wanted to try it, I was enthusiastic WTF ever, boys were thrilled, but it was not right.

Therefore I am me.

Ds J

"Handguns poke holes" - which is why accuracy is so important.

I shot a young warthog sow a while ago at +- 30m. I carry 115gr XTP,'s.

It was a high lung shot and she was dying when we got to her, then she got up and ran a few times.