Old question: milsurp in a hunting rifle?

Started by Ds J, May 05, 2024, 09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ds J

In searching for possible reasons for the headspace problem with my 308, a member asked whether I shot R1 (7.62x51) milsurp in the rifle.

Yes, I did, but I don't know how many shots. It might have been a good 200 shots, on and off, over ten or fifteen years. It might also have been a little less or more.

Could that have made a difference, or caused headspace trouble?

Newton

Newton

Quote from: Ds J on May 05, 2024, 09:56 PMIn searching for possible reasons for the headspace problem with my 308,
Do you have standard to spec ( SAAMI or CIP ) GO and NOGO gauges for your rifle ?
Really only the proper way to check the headspace - ON THE RIFLE - using factory ammo
( Of course YOUR headspace is a different matter ..  ;)  :) )
SIZING dies also have a role to play - IF you reload
Once you have measured and know what your rifle / chamber dimensions are -you can then work out a solution

janfred

Most reliable method is to take the rifle to a gunsmith to measure the headspace.

Second place is to shoot the rifle as is and set the sizing die to bump the shoulder 0.003". Yes, target and PRS shooters bump to 0.001", but we want reliable hunting ammunition that can chamber under adverse conditions.

Lastly, measuring case growth is a good indication of headspace. Measure the case length before priming, and again after it has been fired. The difference in length is very close to how much you bumped the shoulder

Newton

From the OP I surmised that there was something not correct beyond the normal scenario of setting head-space by FL sizing die when reloading ?
Something like an incorrectly cut or oversize chamber / Bolt face problem / Problems between / with bolt and chamber
Overpressure scenario
Thus the reference to the use of military ammunition

DsJ needs to tell us what the exact problem is ?

janfred

Ds J

Please describe how you set your sizing die before sizing your cases for this specific rifle and batch of cases.

Ds J

Quote from: janfred on May 07, 2024, 11:34 AMDs J

Please describe how you set your sizing die before sizing your cases for this specific rifle and batch of cases.

Good evening Folks, work keeps me from chatting here, and it will be the same for the next few weeks.

In short: I read and follow the manual to the letter. It is for a RCBS full length sizing die in a Rockchucker.

If memory serves correct, the procedure is to screw the die down untill it touches the shell holder. Then there is something about screwing it out, or back, two turns, and then to lock the nut.

janfred

Set your die up according to the following procedure.

https://www.gscustomusa.com/faqsizerdie.html

Not only will your headspace problems disappear, your cases will last longer as well and you will still have reliable hunting ammo.

Ds J

Quote from: janfred on May 08, 2024, 11:34 AMSet your die up according to the following procedure.

https://www.gscustomusa.com/faqsizerdie.html

Not only will your headspace problems disappear, your cases will last longer as well and you will still have reliable hunting ammo.

Thanks, will do.

Krazong

Setting up the sizing die according to the above procedure eliminated the cracked cases I got from my 7x57mm and increased accuracy.

Treeman

Die set up will fix incorrect die set up issues, you not going to fix head spacing with die set up - perhaps reduce its apparent resultant showings, but not much more.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Krazong

The easiest way to check head spacing is to take the rifle to a gunsmith and test the chamber with  go /no-go gauges. Quick and easy, but might cost a couple of bucks for the gunsmith's time.

Newton

Quote from: Treeman on May 08, 2024, 05:02 PMDie set up will fix incorrect die set up issues, you not going to fix head spacing with die set up - perhaps reduce its apparent resultant showings, but not much more.
The GS Customs method is all good and well but there appears to be no measurements taken in the process ?
I like measuring things - One can never have enough measuring instruments ( and tools )
When you measure - you KNOW

Shotofrank

The method described by GS Customs is in my opinion only for you to have a method of measuring without actually measuring.
 Its is so to say a way of finding out if you need to or not have measurements done professionally.
Why, when and where. Then death.