Gariths Farm and the hunt in about 6 hours.

Started by Treeman, Jul 22, 2022, 08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeman

Got a friend, friend has a farm we hunt on, that farm is called Gareth's farm(more so Uncle Gareth's Farm), the farm I organised is known as Treemans farm and so it goes on. Now in my circle, you never approach another man's farm other than through him - you do not talk, plan or contact his farms owner. (something a lot of guys should learn)

Gareth has arranged a hunt on his farm, its our treat farm so to say, as we are generally sleep in bush hunters this old farm house museum is just heaven, about 3 star I would say. TV each room, hot water, bath, shower, double beds with new mattresses and 5 persons attending your pleasures. The fire is always ready and beds are made for you etc - once a year we do it.

Problem is !!!!! the farm house has been rented out to a road works team  :o  Fkt !
No - not really, this year we sleeping in the bush, like I have been pleading to do for like 15 years. We do not know where yet, but somewhere between the trees and rocks the 6 old friends are going to make a fire tonight.

They predicting 10 Deg max temperature for week end ???

Here comes the unexpected part ! ! ! The farmer phoned, "can I impose on you guys ? - please man need some help"
The farmer is doing a charity thing for some retirement homes he supports, " would you guy be able to come one day early, I need you to shoot for me on the one farm. " Calm voice and all "yea we can do that, will take some arranging, but we can "HELP you". "what do you want shot?" .
Wait for it....................................... "anything you see other than my Kalahari Springbuck breeders, other than that, I need kg's" - "Kudu ?", "yes preferably Kudu, any size or sex, we can look on Sunday what each guy shot over your hunt and my shoot and you can then pay for what you want and I will take the rest "

So in, in a few hours we hunt like in the olden days, for the wagon train and staff.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

10 Deg they say ! - max they say ! 2 Deg min they warn.
Awww you guys are gonna K*k in the bush, its gonna be k*k cold they say!

Treeman response ;D
wood by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
Guess we take a bakkie just for wood .........................................
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Well that did not go as planned - was cold, but really nothing to fear. The hunt was a disaster,6 persons no Kudu even seen till 16:00 about - 10 hours after start out. The evening before was great, I got to spend a night in the company of a hero of mine since I was 21 yrs old. John Elliott. This is a guy who at 60 yrs old calls going out for supper the following, go to coast - swim to Thunderbolt Reef half km out to sea, shoot a Yellowtail or Cracker for supper. Going out for supper.
Goes surfing at 04:30 to be on the water at 05:00, why " well dave all the wankers are still sleeping then" Kinda guy who takes a sleeping bag and backpack into the mountains and flyfish's for a few days all alone, " its good time Dave"
John is now getting old, but still laughs at it all:
20220722_165958 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
A man I admire so much, simple old English values:
20220722_215643 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

We had a long fire, half ton of wood at least, sat talked, sat some more. Army, woman and economy were forplayers to fishing and hunting, shooting and surfing, the fire was worth the trip.
Was really fokall this time, a shearing afdak and some weeds:
20220722_204228 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

The next morning was just so beautiful, we sat in places of great beauty and walked to scenes of fast being lost wonder.
20220723_081435 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
20220723_155349 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
E-nutting, no kudu no pig nuttings but:
20220723_154706 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
I walked and walked: CLICK ON IMAGE FOR VIDEO

20220723_211414_508896707064890 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

After much of this:
20220723_081524 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
We only saw this:
20220723_154825 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
But will always remember the older guy that treated me well when I was 20 yrs old, I finally got to have a day and night with John Elliot my example of how to age:
20220722_170002 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
Legend to me - legend to my boy who knows the stories.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

Living the life there Treeman. Looks like it was a fantastic trip. The value of being in the bush isn't measured in how much gets killed for me at least.

Treeman

Quote from: oafpatroll on Jul 24, 2022, 03:37 PMLiving the life there Treeman. Looks like it was a fantastic trip. The value of being in the bush isn't measured in how much gets killed for me at least.
Aaaaaaahhhhh ! - A man of my thinking. Was a fantastic hunt.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Simply jealous of the amount of time you spend outside!

Treeman

Quote from: Ds J on Jul 25, 2022, 10:38 PMSimply jealous of the amount of time you spend outside!
Outside is good. I am amazed at how much I enjoy sleeping on back of bakkie, a old car cover over rails and a bed in back, its just so real minus the goggas that are on the ground and somehow more comfortable than the ground. The bakkie is my bed and the tailgate my table. 3 - 4 bakkies reversed in tailgates down and a fire between them.
Cody always sleeps on the ground, but I told him to sleep on back with me this week end, here mid night I hear " yawww Dad this so nice" Made me smile, he been doing the tuff guy thing last year or two, now he see's comfort is a option.
Therefore I am me.