Took a friend to hunt bushpig.

Started by Treeman, Aug 09, 2022, 08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeman

I had to return some kind gestures received from a friend, I managed to organise a hunt on my privilege farm which would include him.
Was a dam fine evening, very cold night which made the fire just that much better
20220806_010450 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

Later that night we went to try for some bush pig and saw one jackal. The guest took four shots at the jackal and not one shot went off ? We are still trying to figure out why - as per post: https://allgunstuff.co.za/index.php?topic=147.0
Rifle fired perfectly after we got back to test it - 5 shots dead primer. Anyway, Cody got impatient and shot the jackal.
20220805_231842 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
This did not please me much as we had no use for a jackal and he basically shot it to kill something - this is very out of his character. Guess he got caught in the heat of the moment and did not think it through.

The next day we went to look for kudu and found none, I walked a million km - zero. I found a worthog and remembered it was on the guests wish list. The guest was being guided by Cody in opposite direction and likely 3 km away by then. I then dragged my weary body all the way back to truck about 1 km away and due to area had to reverse like 2.5 km to get to guest and Cody, then drive back to where started out and walk back to where hog was last seen. FKT x 21 times, legs were done for day. When we got to spot a very slow stalk produced nothing, but I had learnt before that that does not mean its not there, just not seen more likely. Where the hog was was clear, it could be seen clearly as open flat ground and I was not expecting it to be there so much later anyway, but nearby, yes.
I have lost many animals assuming they were not there after first glance. I moved 3 m further forward and there it was, we had gotten there just in time, it got up and started to leave the area - towards us!
Hard to describe, but there was a finger of bush on top of a depression of about pig height depth which was why we could no see pig at first. My forward position got me into line with depression so I could see along it, while Cody and Gareth were looking over long grass at a finger of bush - the depression was invisible to them.
The pig was walking straight at me and I had to lie down to not be seen, but could be seen by Gareth, when the pig got to Gareth it would appear to pop out of ground from depression as its walk was raised.
Gareth and I quickly learnt sign language, " are you f'kn blind?" was first thing learnt. Second was " I can not see it - where - where? "
At this time I had no idea why he could not see the pig and was seriously considering tearing his lungs out and stomping on his stupid spine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IN FKIN FRONT OF YOU ARE YOU FKIN BLIND> YOU MAD >>>

We only worked it all out later, the pig was 20 ft perhaps away and he could not see it - he said he knew where it was from my eyes, but it was not there.
After calming down I knew something was up and showed him to look along barrel and wait, no sooner than he listen the shot went of, basically the pig stepped up out of hollow into scope and was shot. The shot seeme good and the pig faltered as it turned away and I said "going down". The pig how ever just got stronger and started covering ground, Gareth took a Texas heart shot and the pig got real tired and slowed down alot.

Then my greatest fear happened, Little Dog slipped her hold and was gone at pig, no shouting could turn her. I feared greatly for her life, old pig young dog, almost still a puppy. Strange how she knew though, she stayed at back of pig and grabbed the tail mostly.
Gareth managed to get his fat arse over to pig and gung ho 9 mm P at pig 4- 5 times proofing just how bad a average shooter is with a handgun. Eventually he put a headshot in and the pig died.
The biggest W/Hog to date on farm 58 kg gutted only.
The dog impressed me!
20220806_095250 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
20220806_095407 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

next was my Kudu, promised to me by farmer for guiding teaching his son over last 5 years. Well I found a nice bull, and claimed my free kudu. After glassing the bull I had found, the farmers son decided that it was too big for me, and wanted it for self, then he decided that I must come with him incase it was smaller than he thought. So like, there is my bull, I spotted, I found - you claim it because it may be too good for me. Then you decide to throw me some scraps if its not that special ? F'off - stick your Kudu where the son don't shine.
 So yea, kid shot my kudu and I sulked, man I am is and are pissed at the lightie, he did me wrong, big time, but ????? his farm his decisions, seems he may grow up just like so many other spoilt kids after all.
(suppose I want say that my feelings were really hurt, but we don't admit to that do we ?) - 5 years of first many things I gave him, my rifles, my time, my ammo, my absolute best every time, and a free range kudu is too much for me. Never asked for one, was offered, but please do not throw me leftovers.
IMG-20220809-WA0029 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
130 - 145 kg gutted, like me  :-X

Later that day
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

The following night while I was absent the white pig we saw some time back was shot, this saddened me as this pig is actually pure white - much whiter than in picture. Pig was kinda special to me.
white pig by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.