New SOCOM sniper rifle

Started by Newton, Jan 02, 2024, 08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newton

Very interesting , serious , expert discussion

No "blarney" here

Excellent!

I don't want to find out what that thing costs...

Treeman

Is it R100 000 more accurate than an 0.5 MOA Howa owned by Piet at local Long range Club ?  ?
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

Quote from: Treeman on Jan 07, 2024, 09:46 AMIs it R100 000 more accurate than an 0.5 MOA Howa owned by Piet at local Long range Club ?  ?

Nope but you do get really tacticool stickers and a vinyl velcro patch for you mall ninja costume with it. Would still love to own one if money was no object. 

Newton

Quote from: Treeman on Jan 07, 2024, 09:46 AMIs it R100 000 more accurate than an 0.5 MOA Howa owned by Piet at local Long range Club ?  ?
Different applications - Different Worlds
"Piet" may be my guest and take his 0.5 MoA HOWA rifle - assuming it is a 7.62 Nato ( .308 ). Seeing that as far as I know there are no HOWA's chambered in 300 or 338 Norma Magnum ? ( available in South Africa ) - to the terrible places special force snipers go !
and
Wish him the best of luck

oafpatroll

Many 10s of thousands of head of game taken with Howa working rifles all over this continent have been very satisfied with their performance. I know of one in 300 win mag that lives behind it's owners bakkie seat, looks like it's used to drive fence posts and has accounted for more than 1000 animals for the pot for his farm workers over 15 years. Dolled up in a beige chassis with some high end glass I'd be surprised to find that it would choke in the hands of a person hunter.   

Treeman

Quote from: Newton on Jan 07, 2024, 03:52 PM
Different applications - Different Worlds
"Piet" may be my guest and take his 0.5 MoA HOWA rifle - assuming it is a 7.62 Nato ( .308 ). Seeing that as far as I know there are no HOWA's chambered in 300 or 338 Norma Magnum ? ( available in South Africa ) - to the terrible places special force snipers go !
and
Wish him the best of luck

Point taken, heading was Sniper Rifle.
Therefore I am me.

Only R100k?  I would expect that rifle system with scope etc would be sold to the US gubbermunt at around R500 000 each.

Treeman

Quote from: 223 on Jan 10, 2024, 02:53 PM

Only R100k?  I would expect that rifle system with scope etc would be sold to the US gubbermunt at around R500 000 each.
I read somewhere once that in the second world war there were about 200 000 rounds fired for every kill.
At R500 000 a rifle + all other expense's, I wander what a kill costs these days.
Therefore I am me.

Againstthegrains

Quote from: Treeman on Jan 10, 2024, 09:29 PMI read somewhere once that in the second world war there were about 200 000 rounds fired for every kill.
At R500 000 a rifle + all other expense's, I wander what a kill costs these days.

Forget about light arms, in the Ukraine war, the number of artillery shells used, far exceeds the number of deaths. Its hard to kill soldiers when they are well dug in. It is a stalemate at the moment, because their ratio of casualties is similar on offense and defense, and their cost per casualty for both sides is the same.

Compare that to the Palestinian conflict. The kill ratio is very skew, lots of Palestinians for each Israeli killed (about 1:20), but the cost ratio of kills is ridiculously in favour of the Palestinians. So far Israel has spent USD50 billion. Palestine is using soviet era small arms and home made rockets and Israel is dropping precision weapons from 5th gen fighters. So in that respect, Hamas is winning! If it doesn't end soon, at some stage Israel will either have to accept greater casualties to reduce costs, or inflict ever greater casualties on the Palestinian civilian population to conclude the war.

Quote from: Treeman on Jan 10, 2024, 09:29 PM
Quote from: 223 on Jan 10, 2024, 02:53 PM

I read somewhere once that in the second world war there were about 200 000 rounds fired for every kill.

With this kind of toy, and the training of those being issued with them, one would expect more of a "one shot, one kill" type of operational tactic, not the more common "spray and pray" type of approach.

Newton

Quote from: Treeman on Jan 10, 2024, 09:29 PMI read somewhere once that in the second world war there were about 200 000 rounds fired for every kill.
Should that kill be one of the few competent first class combat generals - then perhaps .. priceless
Very good snipers are a - force multiplier // and were well represented in the Red Army in WWII