A closer look at the Lee Precision Pro6000 priming system.

Started by DuaneWessels, Sep 02, 2022, 08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuaneWessels

Early summer came and went...or maybe they meant our early summer...

Late August came and went...

Who knows at the moment but there are a few signs that indicate the release of the Pro6000 is imminent.

Lee offered a few cosmetically damaged ones to a few reloaders in the States.

Shell Plates are mostly in stock on their website.

And the instructions have been loaded...

The Pro6000 has a brand new shuttle type priming system...
pro6000priming.PNG

This is the one part I am excited to test. It is something new for Lee but I can only see advantages to this system.

One of our Lee agents has a shipment ready to be dispatched from Lee. Lee has not dispatched it yet...

The first consignment of these presses might just be added to that shipment.

And no I do not have pricing yet.
480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za

oafpatroll

The only thing that would really get me in the mood for an upgrade from my ancient Pro 1000 is a primer feed system that works reliably. Despite being an avid tinkerer I was never able to get mine working reliably enough to use.   

big5ifty

The primer slide is a sensible change, it means you can't blow all the primers up at once anymore.

It will definitely improve the reliability of priming.

The downside for me is seeing the same plastic primer chute coming down. 

The reliability is going to be limited to how well the primers slide down that plastic chute.

It looks easy to convert that setup to feed primers with a Hornady LnL primer tube and primer tube base.

Positioning the tube above the point where the primer slide retracts furthest will allow one primer to drop from the tube into the notch on the slider.

oafpatroll

When priming pistol cases manually I console myself with the fact that I'm getting another QC check in for 'free'. I get another when depriming prior to case tumbling. I'm sure there's a point where too much QC becomes a bad thing  ::)   

Treeman

I have not used my primer feed in ages, I wondered about using a bit of baby powder a while back - must really try it.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

I tried everything i could think of and everything i could find on the interwebs. Trued the sides, polished the chute, dusted with graphite, etc, etc and even rigged up the vibrator from a dead cellphone to it so that it would buzz on the upstroke. That last one seemed to help but it was still no more reliable than 20 30 rounds at a time between failures.

Treeman

I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.