Lee Precision Pro1000, did you know?

Started by DuaneWessels, Oct 03, 2022, 08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuaneWessels

The Pro1000 overall cartridge maximum clearance height is 2 5/16" or 2.3125". Anything with an overall length of this or longer cannot be loaded on the press. This is because the Shell Plate will start to index before the cartridge is completely out of the Bullet Seating Die, and would cause indexing and adjustment issues.

2.3125" is 58.7mm.

Popular cartridges that cannot be loaded on the Pro1000:
303 British Overall length 78.11 mm (3.075 in)
308 Win Overall length 71.1 mm (2.800 in)
6.5 Creedmoor Overall length 71.8 mm (2.825 in)
Etc.

The Pro1000 offers excellent value for money when it comes to loading handgun and semi auto rifle (223) it is not suited to loading bolt action rifle loads.

If you are looking for a press that can load decent amounts of handgun and most of your bolt action rifle loads have a look at the Lee Precision Classic Turret Press.

https://480bc.co.za/Reloading
480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za

Treeman

Duanne - why was the Pro 1000 made short like it is ?
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

DuaneWessels

The Pro1000 was designed mainly for handgun loading so no need to make it taller, plus you need to consider the cost and the aim of the press.

It was designed as an affordably progressive press.
480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za

If you really want to make the Pro100 taller, it should not be too difficult to make the changes:

1. Build extension pieces (male/female) for the 3 pillars.
2. Build a longer ram.
3. Build a longer linkage and lever.
4. Check if index rod works as is, or make a new, longer one.

If this actually works, you still have a plate carrier that is likely not sturdy enough to support a bigger case while being FL sized. 

Also, the cost of all the work required, will be more than the price difference between a Pro1000 and a Load Master, which can handle up to around 30-06 size cartridges.

Anyway, the precision required to load proper ammo for a bolt-action rifle, can most likely not be achieved with a normal (read affordable) progressive press.  Rather devise ways to speed up your single stage press reloading process for that.

oafpatroll

I wouldn't consider loading rifle ammo on a progressive unless it was for SADPA type close range use in a semi auto.

DuaneWessels

Quote from: oafpatroll on Dec 02, 2022, 10:22 AMI wouldn't consider loading rifle ammo on a progressive unless it was for SADPA type close range use in a semi auto.

I agree. Bolt action - Single Stage, Semi Auto - Progressive
480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za

Treeman

Quote from: DuaneWessels on Dec 05, 2022, 12:44 PM
Quote from: oafpatroll on Dec 02, 2022, 10:22 AMI wouldn't consider loading rifle ammo on a progressive unless it was for SADPA type close range use in a semi auto.

Quote from: DuaneWessels on Dec 05, 2022, 12:44 PM

Seems the general concensus.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

I genuinely enjoy the process of making rifle ammunition from casting to powder coating of bullets to case prep and assembly. I bugger off to the loading bench in my workshop and chill with an audio book for a few hours of total switch off time. As such, I have no desire or incentive to speed the process up at all so even if i could make acceptably accurate bolt gun ammo on a progressive I wouldn't bother.   

janfred

I did use my loadmaster to load 50 rounds of .308Win for my target rifle.

Instead of my usual 15fps ES the ammo gave around 35fps ES. That was still good enough for a 2MOA group at 900m. This with 10x fired brass that were never annealed, wet-tumbled or primer pockets cleaned. To add insult, I cleaned the barrel after every shooting session using a bronze brush going forward and backwards.

I would quite confidently load hunting ammo with a Loadmaster, provided I use ball powder and an autodrum.