Lubing your cases…yes even 9mmp…will help make the reloading process easier

Started by DuaneWessels, Nov 21, 2022, 03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuaneWessels

ig1169.jpeg

Lubing your cases...yes even 9mmp...will help make the reloading process easier on you and your progressive.

Here is a cheap and easy way to lube your cases...
Take 1 tube of Lee Precision Resizing Lube.
Mix with 500ml Rubbing Alcohol...with an alcohol content of at least 90%.
Mix well in a Spray Bottle...shake the bottle with every use to mix.
Spray your cases, leave to dry.
The rubbing alcohol will evaporate, leaving a thin coating of lube on your cases.

Get your Lee Precision Resizing Lube here:
https://480bc.co.za/Lee-Precision-Sizing-Lube

Rubbing Alcohol you can find in at any chemist and a plastic spray bottle can be found in most shops.
480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za

oafpatroll

Nice idea this. In addition I find that really clean cases reduce the amount of force required a fair bit.

Treeman

If you line cases up in rows inch between and spray at a slight angle from above on 2 sides you get to lube the inner neck as well for resizing ease.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

I find that just a few droplets per case is more than enough to smooth things up significantly.  That goes for all handgun cartridges.  No need to cover the cases with a thin film of lube as one would for bottle neck rifle cases.

oafpatroll

I haven't ever lubed my 9mm brass but as mentioned above once I got setup for wet tumbling I noticed a definite reduction in the effort required. I guess it's not that the cases are clean so much as they are polished that causes the improvement i noticed.

Ds J

How does one clean these sprayed cases, especially the inside of the neck on rifle cases?

DuaneWessels

Quote from: 223 on Nov 23, 2022, 06:14 PMI find that just a few droplets per case is more than enough to smooth things up significantly.  That goes for all handgun cartridges.  No need to cover the cases with a thin film of lube as one would for bottle neck rifle cases.

I like a thin film of lube on my 9mmp cases as I use a Lee APP to resize. The APP has pass through shell holder and if you do not lube enough the case get stuck in the sizing die as the shell holder only holds 2 sides.
480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za

DuaneWessels

Quote from: Ds J on Nov 24, 2022, 08:28 AMHow does one clean these sprayed cases, especially the inside of the neck on rifle cases?

After sizing I dry tumble my cases to give them a shine again. Rifle cases I do not know as I am not a rifle reloader...
480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za

Treeman

Quote from: Ds J on Nov 24, 2022, 08:28 AMHow does one clean these sprayed cases, especially the inside of the neck on rifle cases?
I just tumble mine, but by old habit I always run a nylon brush down neck after any actions before charging the case.
Last thing I do before starting to build the cartridge, brush down neck, sometimes there is lube lumps from the expander ball.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Quote from: DuaneWessels on Nov 24, 2022, 10:10 AM

After sizing I dry tumble my cases to give them a shine again. Rifle cases I do not know as I am not a rifle reloader...

Duane, this doesn't make sense?

A lubed case contains oil. Dry tumbling means that fine dry stuff clogs onto the oily film?

What do I miss?

With rifle cases I wash them properly after sizing, to get any lube off, inside and out.
Shooting rifles with lubed ammo is generally deemed to be a bad idea, as the case walls don't grip in the chamber any more causing extra thrust on the bolt face.  I suspect a lot of AR15 bolt lug failures can be attributed to lubed ammo.

Getting the inside of the neck lube free is important to get consistent shot start pressure.

With handgun cases, if you can see the lube ring after sizing, you have applied too much lube.
With normal application, I doubt that the little lube that is left will cause any issues. 
I do wipe my ammo with a soft cloth.

oafpatroll

Quote from: 223 on Nov 27, 2022, 07:04 PMShooting rifles with lubed ammo is generally deemed to be a bad idea, as the case walls don't grip in the chamber any more causing extra thrust on the bolt face.  I suspect a lot of AR15 bolt lug failures can be attributed to lubed ammo.

I was watching Bloke on the Range (on yoochoob) doing a deep dive into the material that was published by the MOD around the development of the Lee Enfield rifles. One of the things he read was the specification for proof cartridges and they stressed that the cartridges and chamber had to oil free and bone dry as the pressure against the bolt was very significantly higher wet. I forget exactly what it was but I think it may have been 50% or more higher.

Treeman

I used spray on lube again in my rifle cases, will I never learn.
5 cases in and die jammed.
This works so well on straight cases, but on rifle cases you still need to lube conventionally around base, near web.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

Quote from: Treeman on Nov 29, 2022, 09:30 PMI used spray on lube again in my rifle cases, will I never learn.
5 cases in and die jammed.
This works so well on straight cases, but on rifle cases you still need to lube conventionally around base, near web.

Imperial sizing wax for rifle for me and less of it than more. Friend of mine showed me some 6.5 Creed cases to which had deformed shoulders he counldn't figure out. Turned out he was slathering every case with gobs of lube and they were being hydraulically deformed.

DuaneWessels

Quote from: Ds J on Nov 26, 2022, 06:01 PM
Quote from: DuaneWessels on Nov 24, 2022, 10:10 AM

Duane, this doesn't make sense?

A lubed case contains oil. Dry tumbling means that fine dry stuff clogs onto the oily film?

What do I miss?

I let my lubed cases dry properly.
My tumbling media has car polish mixed in, almost no dust.
The Lee lube has no oil, it is a product made by Castrol called Iloform PS 700. It is water soluble.
480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za