I have a dream

Started by Treeman, Nov 15, 2022, 08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeman

As per 223 post some time back in which he stated: My own low-cost low-noise rifle is a 44 Mag built on a Lee no4 action salvaged from a scrapped 303.  The 44 case head fits the 303 bolt face perfectly.

I now have a new dream.
I like this idea ------------------------- a lot.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

A homegrown Delisle Carbine / 'Silent Destroyer' mashup perhaps? I absolutely love the idea of a big bore pistol calibre rifle and having one on a short Lee or even P14 platform is really appealing. Guess it's never too early to start talking to Craig Klintworth about what such a fevered imagining might cost. I am after all made of money. 

Administrator

I had a big bore subsonic built on a P14.

It's a .458x1.5 Barnes with a 16 inch bull barrel.

Brass is .375 H&H, cut down and inside reamed to thin the case wall.

I put together a die set for it from my odd dies lying around. Sizing die is a normal .375 H&H sizer. The seating die is a Redding expander die body with a 45ACP seating stem in it. The decapper is an old RCBS .38 special decapper and the decapping rod is the perfect size to do case mouth expansion.

I've got 500 and 600 grain lead waiting to test it. I'm expecting to fill what's left of the case after bullet seatng with CFE Pistol.  I have an old Lynx M4x20 with NATO reticle ready for it .

Mine was the first in SA, the caliber was not on the SAPS system.

I got a call from my DFO on Friday, looks like the license for it has arrived.

oafpatroll

That sounds like an absolute belter! Congratulations on putting it together. I'd never heard of the calibre and had to look it up. Stick a can on it and call it a .458 Whisper for a giggle.

Ds J

Quote from: Treeman on Nov 15, 2022, 08:42 PMAs per 223 post some time back in which he stated: My own low-cost low-noise rifle is a 44 Mag built on a Lee no4 action salvaged from a scrapped 303.  The 44 case head fits the 303 bolt face perfectly.

I now have a new dream.

Treeman, someone close to you has a rifle he uses for bush pig? Which calibre is it?

Treeman

Quote from: Ds J on Nov 27, 2022, 06:46 PM
Quote from: Treeman on Nov 15, 2022, 08:42 PMAs per 223 post some time back in which he stated: My own low-cost low-noise rifle is a 44 Mag built on a Lee no4 action salvaged from a scrapped 303.  The 44 case head fits the 303 bolt face perfectly.

I now have a new dream.

Treeman, someone close to you has a rifle he uses for bush pig? Which calibre is it?
458 x 2 inch American. I also have one.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

I also have a 16 inch .303 Lee - also used for bush pig.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Quote from: Treeman on Nov 29, 2022, 09:31 PM

I now have a new dream.

What would the 458 x 1.5 do better, or why the preference?

(I know that "sommer net" is more than enough reason  ;D )

Treeman

Quote from: Ds J on Nov 29, 2022, 10:41 PM
Quote from: Treeman on Nov 29, 2022, 09:31 PM

I now have a new dream.

What would the 458 x 1.5 do better, or why the preference?

(I know that "sommer net" is more than enough reason  ;D )
Over the counter cases and bullets that also work in my hand gun would be one consideration. Another important consideration would be that I do not own one like it !
Therefore I am me.