Will Somchem ever recover ?

Started by Shotofrank, Jan 02, 2023, 02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotofrank

I was looking at my hand guns and shotguns and my MP200, MS200 and I wondered, will it ever be just normal stock on shelves again?
Why, when and where. Then death.

My local gun shops have S335 and S365 in stock right now.  Those were the first 2 powders to get on line after the big bang.

I would guess the other powders will also get back into production eventually?

While production has been an issue, another big bottleneck is the distribution of the S- powders.  Our dealers here in the North need to go fetch their stock in Potch.  When the Pta depot (at the PMP factory) was still operational, this was much easier and less costly.  We can only hope that someone can get the needed paperwork arranged to open another powder depot closer to the normal logistical routes.

Ds J

Quote from: Shotofrank on Jan 02, 2023, 02:42 PMI was looking at my hand guns and shotguns and my MP200, MS200 and I wondered, will it ever be just normal stock on shelves again?

No, at least not soon.

The political influence in the work place does not allow for the best people to be employed. Somhem might be German owned, they still have to obey employment laws.

Look at the rest of southern Africa to see what we should expect.

Treeman

Somhem might be German owned, they still have to obey employment laws.

Therein lies the problem.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

I was told by someone that was recently, i.e November 2022, in Austria on a hunting trip that there were a range of Somchem powders in both of the gunshops he visited and that the proprietors told him that that supply was good.

He's not a shotgun or pistol shooter so didn't ask about the quick powders. I'm pretty sure that Rheinmetall would have walked away from Denel if they didn't think they could make a go of it but sadly sporting purpose powders for retail sale in SA are neither a focus nor likely a major revenue line item considering what else they do and the currencies they sell it in.     

Ds J

Quote from: oafpatroll on Jan 06, 2023, 03:29 PMI was told by someone that was recently, i.e November 2022, in Austria on a hunting trip that there were a range of Somchem powders in both of the gunshops he visited and that the proprietors told him that that supply was good.

He's not a shotgun or pistol shooter so didn't ask about the quick powders. I'm pretty sure that Rheinmetall would have walked away from Denel if they didn't think they could make a go of it but sadly sporting purpose powders for retail sale in SA are neither a focus nor likely a major revenue line item considering what else they do and the currencies they sell it in.     

Rheinmetall owned Somchem since before 2006/7. That was when I started in Potchefstroom. There was a Denell plant. I knew one of the workers there and he said they had a supply of eleven of twelve years' stock, and only released it in smaller, restricted quantities.

Treeman

Quote from: oafpatroll on Jan 06, 2023, 03:29 PMI was told by someone that was recently, i.e November 2022, in Austria on a hunting trip that there were a range of Somchem powders in both of the gunshops he visited and that the proprietors told him that that supply was good.
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
bit crazy
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Rheinmetall owned Somchem since before 2006/7. That was when I started in Potchefstroom. There was a Denell plant. I knew one of the workers there and he said they had a supply of eleven of twelve years' stock, and only released it in smaller, restricted quantities.
[/quote]
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
sounds urban legend stuff. Run out of stock while having stock.
12 Years stock pile - eish, really do not want to live near that mountain of bang powder.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Quote from: Treeman on Jan 08, 2023, 06:22 PMRheinmetall owned Somchem since before 2006/7. That was when I started in Potchefstroom. There was a Denell plant. I knew one of the workers there and he said they had a supply of eleven of twelve years' stock, and only released it in smaller, restricted quantities.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
sounds urban legend stuff. Run out of stock while having stock.
12 Years stock pile - eish, really do not want to live near that mountain of bang powder.
[/quote]

Available in Austria and not available in SA.

Limited supply in SA for powders.

It makes sense if one takes into account that the powers that be prefer to have most/all firearms handed in.

oafpatroll

Selling to a hard currency buyer if you are in a soft currency country makes sense. It also makes sense that the investor that is almost certainly keeping the boat afloat would reserve production capacity for their own market. It makes no sense to me that a company scraping the bones of its arse would keep stock on hand that it could turn into cash if it needed cash. 

Shotofrank

I am starting to see S365 again ?
Why, when and where. Then death.

Treeman

S365 seems to be more available now.
Therefore I am me.

big5ifty

Somchem as we knew it is a bygone era.

It's not a competitive business entity in the global economy, so it will not be around for long.

Treeman

Quote from: 414gates on Jan 21, 2023, 06:33 PMSomchem as we knew it is a bygone era.

It's not a competitive business entity in the global economy, so it will not be around for long.
Not good to hear.
Therefore I am me.

janfred

Quote from: 414gates on Jan 21, 2023, 06:33 PMSomchem as we knew it is a bygone era.

I don't know what you know that makes you say that.