Rifle stock, beauty past belief.

Started by Treeman, Mar 16, 2023, 09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeman

This is the first time I have ever envied a rifle stock, they have always been tools and objects. Beauty usually just deducts from usability, but if I had this I would not mind.
 335404746_1311574272738423_1605023777418570579_n by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

That truly is something to behold. Do a Google search for "Burl wood" and see the beauty of different types of wood.

Ds J

What type and brand of rifle is that?

Treeman

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Mar 17, 2023, 08:43 PMThat truly is something to behold. Do a Google search for "Burl wood" and see the beauty of different types of wood.
Yes usually the root system, or stump as we say. The high silica content is what gives it the sheen and depth- basically glass impregnated wood.
It is what Waggi Beef is to beef to wood.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Quote from: Ds J on Mar 18, 2023, 10:08 AMWhat type and brand of rifle is that?
Dunno brand, but its a break neck type rifle. With the money involved there, likely a top grade over under wing shooting shottie.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Geeees guys, do a Google image search of the image, unbelievable stuff out there, never knew.
Right click on image, select search image with google
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

The blank for a stock like that costs more than any gun I own and having it made into something like that probably costs more than all of them combined.

Treeman

Quote from: oafpatroll on Mar 20, 2023, 02:22 PMThe blank for a stock like that costs more than any gun I own and having it made into something like that probably costs more than all of them combined.
And when converted from Pounds to Rands, more like "than any car I own".
Therefore I am me.

Truly impressive!

While a pretty stock like that must be very desireable, I do have some issues with it.  If I had something like that and managed to scratch it while hunting, I might just get distracted a little. No, completely...

Treeman

Only take it out carry case at last minute when you ranged animal and ready to shoot.
Therefore I am me.

Newton

Sorry to be contrary
I find it distasteful

A typical "buka mina" wall-hanger only taken out at the range so everyone can know that you have so much money you can afford a stock like this.
All that burl decreases the strength of the wood and why it has to be a two- piece ( break ) weapon.

Treeman

Quote from: Newton on May 12, 2023, 09:27 AMSorry to be contrary
I find it distasteful

A typical "buka mina" wall-hanger only taken out at the range so everyone can know that you have so much money you can afford a stock like this.
All that burl decreases the strength of the wood and why it has to be a two- piece ( break ) weapon.

You may find yourself at the wrong end of the abuse stick now  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D 
Therefore I am me.

janfred

Quote from: Newton on May 12, 2023, 09:27 AM.. .

Would really like to know where you source this knowledge from.

Firstly, break-open rifles and shotguns can't use single stocks. Turns out solid wood cannot bend enough by itself to allow the operation. Who'd have known?

Secondly, the twisted "burl" is what makes the thin wrist strong enough to direct the energy at that angle through a thin piece of wood to your shoulder. Plenty DIY stock makers found out the hard way that nice straight-grain wood cracks along the grain at the wrist area. Then they learn about "pinning"...

oafpatroll

Ja, just ja. Turns out that the fine gun makers have been doing it wrong all these years. Thank goodness for the internet and it's legion of it's desk top research experts. Imagine the shame of spending the rest of my life believing that the break action was invented to allow show offs to flaunt their expensive and inherently flawed bits of wood.

Newton

QuoteFancy figure, in the form of fiddleback, feather, or burl, only occurs where there is a bole imperfection, such as where a knot is formed around a wound, where a limb forms a crotch, where a virus has infected the wood cells during growth or where the weight and pressure within the stem folds and refolds the fiber, such as within the stump or where a root joins the stump.  Wood from these areas is (generally speaking) less strong than straight grain and many times contain flaws such as voids or bark inclusions

QuoteGrain that runs across the wrist or grip may split with recoil or a sharp blow, or chip at the toe of the stock or pistol grip.  When cutting blanks for stocks
I always looked for strength first, then figure; however, on some outstanding, highly-figured pieces I have cut them to take advantage of the visual impact of the figure, using the stock for a low or moderate recoiling firearm to protect it from coming apart under use. I just couldn't stand to waste those fine pieces and not use them!  Also, in some fancy pieces, you might get away with repairs to flaws using glass epoxy or shellac sticks, and still have a very usable and beautiful gunstock for your efforts.

Gun Wood: A Few THoughts

Would you like more like this ?