Venomous snake in the house - what now?

Started by Ds J, Jan 10, 2024, 09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ds J

It would make for some interesting tests.

oafpatroll

In a stash of 12G reloading stuff I was given from the estate of an elderly gent I found shells that had been loaded with very fine plastic beads. They were about the same size as the stuff you find in silica gel packets and initially that's what I thought they were. Suspect that they were intended for this purpose (i.e. dispatching vermin/snakes in an confined space) exactly as they had a very light powder charge and a 32g wad full to the brim with the beads. His other conventional bird and buck loads were all on the high end of stout by comparison so i don't think it was a mistake.

Treeman

Quote from: Ds J on Jan 11, 2024, 10:31 PMScenario: wife at home with kids; me not. What does one load in a 410 shotgun to kill a snake in the house?
Phone me one evening, I will open one of my in town in garage rat 410 shells and video chat it to you.
This is what I was telling you about when I said the 410 is such fun to mad scientist with.
Whole mielies make potent high velocity 20 ft range loads, literally blow a rat away and as long as you wear goggles, rebounds are of no concern, although most powderize on walls, wood.
Crushed mielies have same effect but lose oomp very fast.
Tell you something for nothing, even waxed paper and toilet paper mix, crushed tamped into a shell shot out a 410 held at a snakes head, 2 - 3 ft will  absolutely smash the snake. (never done it
NB, no hard wads, they can do more damage than the shot.

Take an old break neck pellet gun, roll a few ball of toilet and stuff them into the barrel. Flies at 6 to 10 inch's are obliterated. Its even better if you hold finger on loading side, and lightly tamp down barrel with a dowel.
Works better than those salt guns they advertise.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

My grandpa used to tie rope into knots for shooting flies in the house. He had an old, small pellet rifle.

Treeman

Quote from: Ds J on Jan 17, 2024, 08:05 PMMy grandpa used to tie rope into knots for shooting flies in the house. He had an old, small pellet rifle.
We took butchers string and dropped glue(wood glue)every 5 mm onto string. Then you cut the string on the glue ( if you want dip that side in glue again).

You roll the string between fingers and but the loose end in first. We would sit half morning just making ammo like this to shoot flies in the house for school holidays. Got a few fail to clean up punishments for this game - and a few other mishaps where experimental ammo went through ceiling, broke a ornament and wot not.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

From a US forum I got advice to try loading a shot shell with rice. It disintegrates on impact because it is brittle, but should pack enough punch to kill a snake.

Next question: how would one test a load ie: how does one simulate a snake's body?

Treeman

Wors !
Therefore I am me.