Old coin found - it was always there.

Started by Treeman, May 29, 2023, 07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeman

I have been camping, sleeping over at a spot on a farm for perhaps 18 years.The spot is a slab of pavers and 9 poles with some zink as a roof, built mainly as shade and a clean area for shearing/working sheep out in the bush. Some years back we put up shade cloth on 2 sides of the structure and it became our hunting base, something to call "camp".
The very first night Cody ever spent away from his mother was here at this spot 4 years 7 months old, his first ever hunt with me, I hung my w/hog on those poles and made a fire on the ground right there where it has been made  fore ever, give or take a foot left or right.
Saturday just before dark I hear Cody " Ey!Look, I found a coin"
20230528_202234 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
20230528_202226 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

We could not read it or make out any more than 1960 and a bit of a face. I sat there and looked where he had found it next to the fire place, the same spot I have spent hours gazing at, it was always there, under the sand sometimes under the grass, always there. I wonder who dropped it and if he searched for it ? Was it the farmer I knows father?
I have walked there, knelt there building a fire, I have sat there kicking up the dust, never saw it.
What made it surface after all these years buried.
The staff and land owners that must have stood on it over the years, it was always there.
There at the cable drum in the sand, the coin is there in the sand.
Cody 4 years 7 months old.
our first hunt by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

We found the coin on the net.
Screenshot_20230528_203731_Google by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Newton

Keep searching Dave
Could be some old gold Kruger Ponde hiding on these old farms in the Eastern Cape
Who knows what got buried in the old days of the Frontier wars and the ABW
Could be just as much - serendipity - attached to those as well  ...
 :)

Ds J

Clean it properly and save it. When the time comes, have it made into a bracelet for Mrs Treeman, or a girlfriend.

The process is fairly easy for a gold smith. He makes a tight fitting ring with a few fingers to keep it in place, solders on a small jumpring (jeweller's name for a small circle) and the job is done.

Treeman

Quote from: Ds J on Jun 16, 2023, 07:37 AMClean it properly and save it. When the time comes, have it made into a bracelet for Mrs Treeman, or a girlfriend.

The process is fairly easy for a gold smith. He makes a tight fitting ring with a few fingers to keep it in place, solders on a small jumpring (jeweller's name for a small circle) and the job is done.
An idea for later in Cody's life.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.