Waarmee het ons grootjies gejag?

Started by Ds J, Jul 15, 2023, 10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oafpatroll

A small number of hunters I've known tell rousing stories about the shots they've missed and the animals they've lost so I don't think that was an old timey thing only.

The results of organised shooting competitions from the late black powder and early nitro period contain more than enough evidence of the fact that highly accurate shooting has existed for a long while. Now with cheap technology that allows for sub-MOA capable factory rifles to be cranked out with boring reliability the average punter with a reloading setup at home is probably better equipped from an equipment point of view than the truly wealthy enthusiast would have been 100 years back.   

Ds J

Ek het êrens gehoor of gelees dat gemiddelde troep rondom 1900 akkuraat (manlike bolyf as teiken) kon skiet tot op 400m. Die Boere kon blykbaar akkuraat (manlike bolyf as teiken) skiet tot op 600m. Daar is blykbaar ook Britse troepe se dagboeke wat dit bevestig.

My oorspronklike vraag was spesifiek gerig op jag en dit verander die saak. Daar is bladskote ter sprake, en die afstande is baie korter.

Treeman het n belangrike saak gestel: hierdie is nie die gemiddelde skut se prestasies nie.

Treeman

Quote from: Ds J on Jul 18, 2023, 10:59 AMEk het êrens gehoor of gelees dat gemiddelde troep rondom 1900 akkuraat (manlike bolyf as teiken) kon skiet tot op 400m. Die Boere kon blykbaar akkuraat (manlike bolyf as teiken) skiet tot op 600m. Daar is blykbaar ook Britse troepe se dagboeke wat dit bevestig.

My oorspronklike vraag was spesifiek gerig op jag en dit verander die saak. Daar is bladskote ter sprake, en die afstande is baie korter.

Treeman het n belangrike saak gestel: hierdie is nie die gemiddelde skut se prestasies nie.
Go research the Lee 303 rifle accuracy reports and requirements, although they often shot mortar volleys at 700 m, they accuracy was like 30' by 20' at 250 yards. In the 1960ties, a good hunting rifle had a 3 inch kinda group at 100 yards.I have no doubts that every rifle threw an exactly where aimed shot ever so often, but it would have been a combo of good shot, good ammo and some luck. I also know that after the second WW it was reported that snipers were obtaining "reasonable" accuracy at 600 yards, note the "reasonable.
1960 had a 1.5 MOA as good accuracy with it noted that occasional rifles could do better.
Lynn Harris, Guns & Game (1998), p94:

"In simple terms, the accuracy requirement for the SMLE rifle on manufacture was that at 100 feet, four out of five shots must hit a rectangle measuring 1 inch wide x 1.5 inches high, which is roughly equivalent to the often quoted standard of 3 inch groups at 100 yards. As a further requirement, 10 percent of the rifles were then fired at 600 yards, where nine out of the 10 shots had to fall within a two foot circle."

I personally feel the late Mr. Harris was a little generous with his "3 inch groups at 100 yards" statement as the extremes of the group could be 4.5 inches and THAT was only 4 of the 5 rounds. Where the fifth round ended up was anybody's guess. In short if your unaltered, as issued SMLE is shooting inside 4 inches at 100 yards with military ammo you are getting better than minimum factory specified accuracy.
https://www.leeenfieldresource.com/accuracy-2

I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Quote from: Treeman on Jul 18, 2023, 07:39 PM
Quote from: Ds J on Jul 18, 2023, 10:59 AMEk het êrens gehoor of gelees dat gemiddelde troep rondom 1900 akkuraat (manlike bolyf as teiken) kon skiet tot op 400m. Die Boere kon blykbaar akkuraat (manlike bolyf as teiken) skiet tot op 600m. Daar is blykbaar ook Britse troepe se dagboeke wat dit bevestig.

Go research the Lee 303 rifle accuracy reports and requirements, although they often shot mortar volleys at 700 m, they accuracy was like 30' by 20' at 250 yards. In the 1960ties, a good hunting rifle had a 3 inch kinda group at 100 yards.I have no doubts that every rifle threw an exactly where aimed shot ever so often, but it would have been a combo of good shot, good ammo and some luck. I also know that after the second WW it was reported that snipers were obtaining "reasonable" accuracy at 600 yards, note the "reasonable.
1960 had a 1.5 MOA as good accuracy with it noted that occasional rifles could do better.
Lynn Harris, Guns & Game (1998), p94:

"In simple terms, the accuracy requirement for the SMLE rifle on manufacture was that at 100 feet, four out of five shots must hit a rectangle measuring 1 inch wide x 1.5 inches high, which is roughly equivalent to the often quoted standard of 3 inch groups at 100 yards. As a further requirement, 10 percent of the rifles were then fired at 600 yards, where nine out of the 10 shots had to fall within a two foot circle."

I personally feel the late Mr. Harris was a little generous with his "3 inch groups at 100 yards" statement as the extremes of the group could be 4.5 inches and THAT was only 4 of the 5 rounds. Where the fifth round ended up was anybody's guess. In short if your unaltered, as issued SMLE is shooting inside 4 inches at 100 yards with military ammo you are getting better than minimum factory specified accuracy.
https://www.leeenfieldresource.com/accuracy-2

This simply proves that both my grandparents could have been excellent snipers with almost any 303 that ever existed.

Time for me to duck and hide  ;D  ;D

Treeman

This simply proves that both my grandparents could have been excellent snipers with almost any 303 that ever existed.
Time for me to duck and hide  ;D  ;D
[/quote]
dus maar jammer dat jy nie die tradisie hou
 ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

https://flic.kr/p/2oRVpDs

Die datum op hierdie foto is 1870,maar die kleredrag is uit 1910/1920. Die gewere is blykbaar n paar "Cape guns" (dubbelloop voorlaaiers/ haelgewere?), asook n Speed Lee en n Mauser.

oafpatroll

The Lee Speed is a lovely thing. Friend of mine has an absolute minter that looks like it hasn't seen 100 rounds in it's life. 

Treeman

Therefore I am me.